Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Share |
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyo77 View Post
My 17 yo son figured out the problem and we were all wrong. When the door went down hard, the rubber weatherstrip at the top got caught in between the top of the door and the overhang, basically acting as a wedge. My son pushed the weatherstripping back out and *voila*, door opened. Thanks for all your help guys!
My door is 14ftx7ft, wooden sectional, 1st opener chain broke because 1 torsion spring broke, opened manually fine with 1 torsion spring broke, closed really hard, something jammed or stuck at the bottom , I think, the door went an inch or 2 down further than normal, can raise 2 in., using extreme pressure and thats it. Removed pressure from the 1 functioning torsion spring hoping this would help. Nothing. I dont think it is the weather stripping on this one, cant see a darn thing blocking it from going up. I would like to know what is causing this so I can replace door with 2 new torsion springs and opener chain. Must at least be able to move the door before I fix the other problems. Any ideas, thanks

JerryOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
DIY Hack
 
Mr Chips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 1,302
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


when it slammed down it's possible a wheel popped out of the guides on the doors and is jamming it in the track. Also double check the manual release, maybe it re-engaged when the door slammed down. I know it's a long shot, but that's all i can think of. if worse comes to worse you can take the door apart, section by section, starting at top and working your way down

__________________
Those who can, do...
Those who can't criticize on the internet
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
when it slammed down it's possible a wheel popped out of the guides on the doors and is jamming it in the track. Also double check the manual release, maybe it re-engaged when the door slammed down. I know it's a long shot, but that's all i can think of. if worse comes to worse you can take the door apart, section by section, starting at top and working your way down
Thanks for your help, the wheels seem to all be in place, release is disengaged, so I think I will start to take it apart top section 1st., I will give it one more good look tomorrow, thanks
JerryOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,572
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Jerry,
with no spring tension on it, that door is fairly heavy. Try sticking a long pry bar under it and use a brick or piece of 4 x 4 for a fulcrum point and see if you can move the door an inch or two that way. If all rollers are in place, nothing obvious is binding, then the door should move.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Have any screws or bolts on the track worked loose? They can easily stop a door from moving.
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,722
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Jerry,
with no spring tension on it, that door is fairly heavy. Try sticking a long pry bar under it and use a brick or piece of 4 x 4 for a fulcrum point and see if you can move the door an inch or two that way. If all rollers are in place, nothing obvious is binding, then the door should move.
Mike Hawkins
That's what I needed to get mine to move with the torssion springs disconnected. I'm surprised it opened manually with one torsion spring off for the OP.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
That's what I needed to get mine to move with the torssion springs disconnected. I'm surprised it opened manually with one torsion spring off for the OP.
I have even tried a small floor jack, a couple of inches is all it will go, then its under too much pressure, feels like it is going to snap. It is loose on top, maybe its caught under header, the door weather stripping like one other person found with theirs, but I cant see anything binding or catching anywhere. Thanks
JerryOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Have any screws or bolts on the track worked loose? They can easily stop a door from moving.
I will check again, maybe I missed something. Thanks
JerryOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,721
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Before starting to disassemble panels, and even though you have disengaged the manual release, I would remove the pin that connects the arm to the door, and then try raising it. If it works though, don't raise the door too far without getting everything out of the way, or you could damage something. The angle of that arm to the track is enough to overcome when raising the door manually, but under the circumstances, it is possible that the arm has gone past center, and even with the release disengaged, it remains a factor. You've probably already tried that, but I didn't see it mentioned specifically.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Mr Chips (08-26-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,721
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Jerry, I just had a second thought; if what I mentioned is the problem, that pin, as well as the track and the bracket at the top of the door, is going to be under pressure, so be careful. In fact, rather than trying to remove the pin first, you should have two bolts in the connecting arm, in which case it might be better to remove one of them, and then carefully loosen the other one, which should allow the two halves of the arm to fold apart, thereby relieving the pressure.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Before starting to disassemble panels, and even though you have disengaged the manual release, I would remove the pin that connects the arm to the door, and then try raising it. If it works though, don't raise the door too far without getting everything out of the way, or you could damage something. The angle of that arm to the track is enough to overcome when raising the door manually, but under the circumstances, it is possible that the arm has gone past center, and even with the release disengaged, it remains a factor. You've probably already tried that, but I didn't see it mentioned specifically.
Thankyou DexterII, good series by the way, you are right I didn't mention I already removed the pin, I thought the same thing but no luck. I can't see the door weighing much beyond 300lbs., my son and I both tried at each end, no more than a couple inches. Is there hidden locks where I can't see, If there is I can't find them. Thanks Dexter
JerryOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
DIY Hack
 
Mr Chips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 1,302
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


when you removed the pin, did you pull the pivoting arm that the pin holds all the way down? if not, try that.

if you start to take apart, try to lift the remaining part before removing the next panel, that way you may save yourself some work if the problem is on one of the higher panels. those doors are pretty heavy, especially the older wooden ones
__________________
Those who can, do...
Those who can't criticize on the internet
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
when you removed the pin, did you pull the pivoting arm that the pin holds all the way down? if not, try that.

if you start to take apart, try to lift the remaining part before removing the next panel, that way you may save yourself some work if the problem is on one of the higher panels. those doors are pretty heavy, especially the older wooden ones
Thankyou I will
JerryOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


I loosened the top panel brackets that hold the top right and left hand wheels, to make sure it would make the curve going up, pryed it up bit by bit to get 2 floor jacks at each end, it is up about 5 in. now. This thing still has way too much drag on it, unless it weighs 1000lbs, should be at least able to budge by 2 guys lifting. (just how much would this friggin thing weigh, 14x7 hardwood) I will only be able to take up a few more inches to test, nothing that I can see is binding, it is higher than it was before but not high enough to crawl under for a cold beer. Should I raise max with jacks, put it down again, then put everything back together with 2 new torsion springs and hope? No wonder so many are killed by these doors, torsion springs are only good for around 10000 lifts, and when they finally break run for cover. I'm not looking forward to putting new springs on, it was nerve wracking enough loosining the tension on the good one. Oh well I'm retired, nothing but time. Thanks
JerryOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Default

Garage door stuck, will not open


Seriously, be careful. I understand people have been killed putting on those springs.

__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garage ManCave Please Help!!! ManCaveMark Building & Construction 7 09-14-2011 03:01 PM
Garage door hard to open bucksone General DIY Discussions 4 01-02-2010 06:44 PM
Sagging sheetrock in garage cieling, need to seal it to insulate. 240sx4u Building & Construction 6 01-01-2009 05:24 PM
Light Switch to Detached Garage - Grounding Issue smitty286 Electrical 1 10-22-2008 12:17 PM
Garage Door Opener - Noisy on Closing ? quantass Electrical 2 02-13-2006 02:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.