Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Garage Door Sealing & Drainage.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with my questions?

I have a garage door that is letting in tons of cold, and since I want to use it as a small workshop (personal) I need to fix this issue.

I have put drywall up on the walls and ceiling, and fully insulated. All that's left is the door issue - it seems to be a good few years old. In the darkened garage I can see a lot of daylight flooding in.

I stripped off the side and top weather strips, and put up some new stuff, seems to have helped quite a lot. But, it looks like the channel running the door rollers could do with being taken a little closer to the driveway side - any reason why I should not make this adjustment?

My main questions are regarding the bottom seal. Mine seems to be a channel of aluminum that clips into the door bottom, with the rubber attached. I was thinking about buying the Tsunami product that sticks to the concrete, but my concerns are:

1. If my floor is not perfectly level will this cause issues?

2. Sealing the water out is great, but what of the snow dropping from the bottom of my car in a snowy Michigan winter - how will it now drain out?

3. This aside, any reason why I should not fill in the deep channels between my concrete sections? The just fill up with dirt and sawdust.

Guys, thanks in advance for any help.

Hugh

hugh71158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Hugh,
The tsunami bottom seal looks like it would work well. Leave the control joints in your floor alone. That should take care of your melted snow droppings.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Hugh,
The tsunami bottom seal looks like it would work well. Leave the control joints in your floor alone. That should take care of your melted snow droppings.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I will probably go with the Tsunami, especially since the seal at the door bottom is no longer available! Hopefully the Tsunami will bridge the gaps.

Hugh
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Hugh,
If you are having trouble finding the rubber seal for the bottom of your door, there is a company that sells a new aluminum channel for the bottom of the door that takes a new rubber seal that is available. Check with your local garage door company. The local Clopay dealer by me carries them. I would still put the tsunami piece on the floor. Both together would be better.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Hugh,
If you are having trouble finding the rubber seal for the bottom of your door, there is a company that sells a new aluminum channel for the bottom of the door that takes a new rubber seal that is available. Check with your local garage door company. The local Clopay dealer by me carries them. I would still put the tsunami piece on the floor. Both together would be better.
Mike Hawkins
lol, that's funny Mike - as your message came in I was busy researching this very point. Do you mean THIS? Or maybe THIS?

Interesting that you suggest the Tsunami as well as a new seal. Is that because of the step created by the Tsunami?

Thanks for your reply.

Hugh

Last edited by hugh71158; 01-26-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Either I missed it or it was not noted: Will this garage door be down for long periods of time, and maybe just raised occasionally? I do know one person who had this problem, did not want to use his door often, and would up gluing two pieces of tubular pipe insulation to the bottom of the door. The black foam type. He would just close the door, put a little extra pressure on it to seal at the bottom better, and had the latch adjusted so it would be tight.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote