Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage door seal

Hi I need some help and a little direction on how to seal my garage door it has a 50 mm gap underneath it and the garage is absolutely freezing can anyone give me any ideas how I can close this large gap...cheers
Wayne

waynedear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,084

Garage door seal

Ayuh,... Is it not closing far enough, or was it poorly sized in the 1st place,..??

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Garage door seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Is it not closing far enough, or was it poorly sized in the 1st place,..??
It was poorly sited, its been built around 3 yrs I lived with it but have had enough, Its closes fine just leaves a bid gap!!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Garage door seal

You may be able to increase the travel of the door using using some of the adjustments on the garage door opener (I am assuming it has a garage door opener).

You can also purchase rubber thingy's that attached the to bottom of the door that fill that void. I got my "thingy" from Home Depot. I'm sorry I can't remember what the proper name is for those things.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #5

Garage door seal

Ha ha Ill ip to B&Q and ask for some thingys...lol Cheers bill....Im not sure how to adjust the door?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Newbie Bill

Garage door seal

Yeah, sorry I don't know what it is called. It is a rubber weather stripping that is attached to the bottom of the door. There may be a few different types so select one that will work the best with your door.

Now does the door have the gap along the entire bottom of the door, or is it closed tight in one spot with a gap in another? If the latter, your floor may be unlevel, the door may be unlevel, and using the weather stripping should solve the majority of the problem. Don't adjust the door travel if the door already sits tight on the floor in one location.

I'll explain what is on my garage door opener so you may know what to look for in order to change the travel.

Somewhere on the unit there are 4 adjusters, little dials that can be turned with a screw driver.

Two of the adjustors will deal with the Force with which the door opens and closes.

Two more adjustors will deal with how far the door travels. One for when the door opens and one for when the door closes. You want the one that controls how far door travels going down. Get on your ladder with your remote Garage door opener in your hand (make sure to stay away from moving parts). Open and close your door with very small changes to the Down travel adjustment screw. No more than a 1/4 turn at a time. See if that makes the gap any smaller.

And remember to report back to us.

And SAFETY First.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

Garage door seal

"4ever"'s post is good. But let's check something first: Do you have/or not have a power door operator? IF yes--do you know how to disconnect the door from the opener? On most units there is a way to disconnect the "sled' from the operating mechanism, most units have a small cord hanging down to do this. If the cord is not there, find where it ties in and pull the sled latch loose. Careful! The door may drop to close that gap at the bottom--I hope it does. IF the door drops, then the door and tracks are probably fine. This will identify the operator as the problem. IF this does happen: print "4ever"'s post and follow directions. Now IF you do not have an operator, then you have a different situation involving door/track/spring adjustment. A whole other problem. Keep us posted. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Garage door seal

Thanks Thurman, I'm glad a more knowledgable guy chimed in.

Like my signature says, I know enough to be dangerous.