Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

Share |

Garage door repair help

So I have quite a dilemma and Im not sure what to do. I have a small dent on the garage door from the previous owner of the house. They also took the garage door opener with them.

I thought this would be an easy process, but it hasn't been. I had home depot check it out and they said I would need a whole new garage door because the frame was push backed a little bit. They wouldn't install it without a new garage door.

I have a hard time believing this because I can open the door manually and the dent looks like an easy repair. Since I'm a DIYer I was thinking about installing the garage door opener myself. I've never installed one before but was wondering how hard it could be? Thanks

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Garage door repair help

It isn't rocket science at the end of the day but the great installers are masters at getting everything right.

I would call a garage company and see if they will do it for you if you are worried.

Most companies will know that if they do a good job for you now, you will be a customer in the future.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #3

Garage door repair help

sadly most of these companies want nothing to do with it. I figure mostly because it isnt worth there time, therefore they want me to buy a garage door from them. Home depot charged me 80 bucks just so they could say they cant install it. I figure it can't be that hard just to do it yourself and save some money.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #4

Garage door repair help

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2yamutha View Post
sadly most of these companies want nothing to do with it. I figure mostly because it isnt worth there time, therefore they want me to buy a garage door from them. Home depot charged me 80 bucks just so they could say they cant install it. I figure it can't be that hard just to do it yourself and save some money.

What do you mean by a "Dent in the garage door" and if it's just a remote you need,get a universal remote,here's a link.

http://www.sears.com/search=clicker+...e=CAT_REC_PRED
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

Garage door repair help

Post a picture!!
No way would I have contacted a box store to fix a garage door.
There just going to send the loser of the week over to look at it.
Call a real garage door company.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

Garage door repair help

Word,
ditto on what Joe said. Please post some pics of your door, the dented area, and where the opener was hung. Most times I can track a door brand down and replace just a section. However, sometimes the manufacturers change their section suppliers and they no longer make a particular door style. Then I have to replace all the sections.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #7

Garage door repair help

Hopefully this helps out a little bit. I didn't really notice the dent until after we bought the house. You are probably right as I havent had any luck with the big brand store names. My only worry is all of the garage door repairs around me all charge a fee for just showing up. There aren't any free estimates for my garage door either.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage door repair help-20130404_110303.jpg   Garage door repair help-20130404_110327.jpg   Garage door repair help-20130404_110522.jpg   Garage door repair help-20130404_110536.jpg   Garage door repair help-20130404_110604.jpg  

Garage door repair help-20130404_110411.jpg  

Last edited by word2yamutha; 04-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Devil Dog

Garage door repair help

That door does not need replacing, the dents can be banged out from the inside..carefully though the metal is very thin. As far as the opener is concerned post some pics of where it was installed.
handyman_20772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #9

Garage door repair help

Not sure why the owner would take the garage door opener with him, but there use to be one installed. Hopefully these pictures can help.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage door repair help-20130404_113313.jpg   Garage door repair help-20130404_113402.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #10

Garage door repair help

I wouldn't worry too much about the dent if the door slides freely by hand (i.e. you can move it with just your finger tips).

However, I've seen the experienced folks here advise homeowners to stay away from working with torsion spring type doors as you have.

Also, was the opener there the last time you saw the house before you closed on it? When did they remove it? It's probably not worth going after them, but it should not have been removed unless that was disclosed as part of the deal...
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
Household Handyman

Garage door repair help

I install/repair garage doors and openers. From the photos it appears that there is a dent/bent place where the bottom panel meets the second panel, almost in the middle of the width. 1) I would not replace this door IF you can move it up and down with just your physical self. IF you can then the torsion springs are set correct and the door is well balanced also. 2) The dent/bent area can be straightened out somewhat, but it will never be as good as new. DO NOT beat on this dent, just gently persuade the bent area to be pushed back into place as well as it will be. If you really want this door to be cosmetically correct, and you can find the manufacturer's name on any part of it, then you can buy just the two panels that are bent and replace them. IMO: If you paid HD any monies just to look at this door then another homeowner/renter/leasee has been scammed by a big box store. I, for one, would never charge a potential customer just for a visit and inspection of the proposed job. As far as a garage door opener, you will have to buy one and install it or have it installed.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #12

Garage door repair help

Well I decided to hire someone who specializes in garages. I figure a 1/2 hp belt garage door opener with installation for 350 isn't bad. Ill probably just fix the dent myself.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #13

Garage door repair help

Word,
the opener install sounds like a fair price if the opener is one that comes from a garage door supplier and not the big box store. The rail will be one piece steel as opposed to 3 or 4 piece box store unit. The door itself looks almost new. As long as the dent didn't crack at the folded edge, the door should be fine, except for the dent. Once the doors start to crack at a dent, the section turns into a hinge and will flex and try to fold itself when going from the vertical section of the track to the horizontal section. One thing you can do if you want is have the guy that's installing the opener add a strut right above the first row of hinges. That will help stiffen up both the bottom section and second section. Struts are cheap and should only take a minute or two to install.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote