Garage Door Repair - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage door repair

The wife and kids left for the market and a few moments later I hear a crash in the garage. I ran to take a look and everything looks fine. A couple hours later, I go to take the other car out and the garage door won't open. Upon closer examination, it appears that the torsion spring has busted in two. I've done a little searching and it looks like this in no job for a DIYer. But I have a couple questions while I wait a few days for someone to come out and make the repair:

1) Is there any (SAFE) way to get my car out of the garage?

2) Thinking of a garage door crashing down because a single spring breaks is making me a little uneasy with small children running around. Is there some safety mechanism that should be in place should a spring break and someone be standing in the way of the closing door?

Thanks!
Kevin

Advertisement

kpshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Garage door repair

I am assuming you do not have a garage door opener??? If you did it would not crash down, but would be held in place by the opener. The opener would not be strong enough, however, to open the door. The only way to get the door up is muscle it up, then prop it open with a 2x4 or similar, a ladder, whatever is handy.

I do not recommend that anyone not familiar with torsion springs, attempt their replacement. It requires unwinding the old good one(if double door) and winding the new spring to tension it properly, and one slip and it could break an arm, or worse. If a double door, always replace both springs. Extension springs are much easier. With the door propped open, most of the tension is off those, making replacement easy for a DIY with a couple of wrenches.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #3

Garage door repair

As far as getting the car out; you can remove each garage door section at a time starting from the top (you will most likely need help). As you remove each section, the door becomes lighter and eventually it should raise up easily.

Garage door openers are multi-purpose. I consider them MANDATORY.

As the previous poster said, they would prevent the door from crashing down. Even if it damages the opener, it beats damaging a car or a pet or loved one.. Also they serve as locks. If you are worried about power outages or any other concerns, they have manual releases.

Garage door openers are huge safety and security blankets as well as convenient.
I_think_I_conduit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #4

Garage door repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I am assuming you do not have a garage door opener???
Actually, I do have a garage door opener. I didn't actually see it crash down, but I definitely heard a loud crashing sound. This occurred while or shortly after my wife hit the remote button to close the door. She drove off, so she didn't see it crash either. When I went to open the door, I hit the button and it raised up about a foot, stopped, came down, and then raised back up and stopped. I hit the button again and it came down and then raised back up and stopped. The only way to get the door back down was to release it from the chain mechanism. Then of course it came back down with another big thud. I'm going to make some calls around today to see if someone can get it repaired. But just concerned about the initial "crash" should the spring break again. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #5

Garage door repair

But just concerned about the initial "crash" should the spring break again.

The initial crash had to be the spring breaking. If the door had crashed down from a raised position, it would have torn up the opener rail, chain or screw. Since it raised up a foot for you obviously the opener is intact. So that would tell me that the 'crash' was the spring breaking.

Do you see anything bent or out of wack with your opener rail?

I'm going to make some calls around today to see if someone can get it repaired.

Boy, if you could hold on until after the holiday, you would save some bucks, I would presume.

I am curious though. If you would not mind, follow up about getting someone out today. Thanks
I_think_I_conduit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #6

Garage door repair

[quote=

I am curious though. If you would not mind, follow up about getting someone out today. Thanks[/quote]

Okay, repair guy just left. He took about 20 minutes and it cost $110 for a single spring replacement. Glad that's over with and I can get my car out of the garage without having to break my back.

Thanks for all the information!
Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #7

Garage door repair

Hey Kevin, i think Just Bill I Think I conduit gave you good suggestion.

Advertisement

lilypotter is offline   Reply With Quote