Garage Door Repair - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Garage Door Repair

Wasn't sure where to put this, so putting in general. I need some advice on how to fix my garage door. Yesterday, the big spring above the door broke. I can still get the door open if I lift while my wife pushes the button, but that door is dang heavy. Is that something I can fix myself, just replace the spring? If so, where do I get it, and how do I make sure I get the right one. Do any of the Home Improvement stores have a repair service? Do I have to replace the whole lift mechanism?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but haven't been able to get much info on my own. Stopped at local home store, but Garage guy had the day off.

Advertisement

sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Garage Door Repair

I doubt you will find anyone to sell you the spring, and no, it is not a DIY project. The springs are called "torsion" springs, and are sized to match the door size and weight...they are not generic. Call a door company and have them replace the spring...

The reason I discourage anyone from trying to work on these is safety. You can get seriously injured attempting to wind or release the tension on these springs, and there are steps we take when working with them...miss a step, and it gets bad quick.

Advertisement

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Garage Door Repair

Ok, thanks for the advice. Did some checking last night, and looks like a new door isn't as expensive as I thought, so will be checking into that. I assume they have to replace all that opening hardware when they replace the door? Door is crappy, just wasn't planning to replace until next summer.
sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
General Contractor

Garage Door Repair

New doors come with new track and hardware....any door guy will tell you we don't re-use springs.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Garage Door Repair

Imagine entire weight of that garage door slamming into you at a considerable speed. That's how hard those springs hit if you lose control. Takes special tools and proper knowledge to work them, so when you buy a new door, get a pro installer. (And not the handyman neighbor claiming some garage door know-how. If the spring rips into HIM on your property, you are in a serious mess.)
scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Seasoned Noob

Rewards Points: 77

Garage Door Repair

Garage door springs scare me more than electricity Only thing I do with garage doors is replace the opener and even that's a pain. . . get a pro
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Door Repair

It's getting cold in Cincinnati and now my garage door will not open all the way. It gets stuck halfway up. This is a craftsman garage door opener. There are two small adjustments on the unit, but not sure which way they need to move. I have tried adjusting them, but no luck. Any ideas?
bfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
remodeling pro

Garage Door Repair

Call a local overhead door company. Messing with that big torsion spring is NOT a DIY job. They are very dangerous to work with.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Garage Door Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
I doubt you will find anyone to sell you the spring, and no, it is not a DIY project. The springs are called "torsion" springs, and are sized to match the door size and weight...they are not generic. Call a door company and have them replace the spring...

The reason I discourage anyone from trying to work on these is safety. You can get seriously injured attempting to wind or release the tension on these springs, and there are steps we take when working with them...miss a step, and it gets bad quick.
Amen. Call a company that services them. It's just NOT something anyone who isn't an experienced garage door installer or repairperson should ever attempt to do. The homemade levers and winding bars that folks try to come up with on-the-fly often become spears and cleavers. Not worth getting seriously hurt over. From my experience in telling my customers this, it runs about $85 to $110 plus the cost of the spring itself.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Door Repair

So, I finally figured out why the h3ll the door wouldn't open all the way. When I got the time to take the automatic door open apart (well at least the cover), I found there are two metal clips that trigger the door to stop. These metal contacts hit a trip device and the door knows when to stop. Well, one of the clips had broken off for the stop at the top. I soldered a washer to the broken clip - been working like a charm ever since. Boy that was frustrating for quite some time.

Advertisement

bfleck is offline   Reply With Quote