Garage Door Opens By Itself - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Garage door opens by itself

I've got a Chamberlain door opener, about 5 years old. About twice a year it will randomly cause the door to open by itself, usually overnight. I've replaced all the batteries, reprogrammed the codes, etc, and the other night it happened again. I always watch to make sure the door is closed when I drive away to the end of the alley.

Starting to feel a bit insecure. The only cause I can think of is that there was about 2 inches of ice built up in one corner causing the door to not close evenly, but it would still close. I chiseled this away.

What can I do to troubleshoot a problem like this? What can I do to prevent it?

Advertisement

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The first thing I would do until you find the cause is cut power to the unit after you pull the car in for the night. No sense inviting trouble into the area. Mine has a lock button you can push.
It could be something that shares the same frequency and triggers the door. I once had a wireless house alarm that was set off when the oil fired boiler turned off. Not when it turned on, just off. But that was before rolling codes so I don't know if that's possible now.
Did you try to reset the remotes?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The first thing I would do until you find the cause is cut power to the unit after you pull the car in for the night. No sense inviting trouble into the area. Mine has a lock button you can push.
It could be something that shares the same frequency and triggers the door. I once had a wireless house alarm that was set off when the oil fired boiler turned off. Not when it turned on, just off. But that was before rolling codes so I don't know if that's possible now.
Did you try to reset the remotes?
Ron
I've reset the codes the last time it happened. No difference. I was unplugging it in for the night the first few times this happened but after not happening for x amount of months, you call it good. Then it happens again.

Mine has a lock button on it, not sure if it would prevent random trips, maybe?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Can be a couple reasons.

Usually one of the remotes has a stuck / weak button that will allow for an occasional trip. If there is another remote laying around remove the battery. Second one being a short in the wall push button or the wiring. I'd start by removing the wires from the motor for the wall push button taking it off the system. Try it for a few days/weeks and see it that corrects the problem then run new wires.

Once the motor has stoped it takes another signal to make it run again.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #5

It's just one of those things that happens so rare making it difficult to troubleshoot. Ad least if it was doing it every night I could rule out the wiring or remotes. It could be someone accidentally bumping one of the remotes in another vehicle.

Are there still situations where interference(CB, fire, police, etc radios) or similar neighbor openers can cause an opener to open on modern openers?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Just for safety and security, would you consider having an electrician add an ordinary wall/light switch near your entrance door from the garage, preferably on the inside of the house which will control the power to the opener. My sister had this done, not because of random openings, but because of security. There had been cases of people using some sort of "random code devices" to open garage doors in her area for robbery. Now when she enters her home for the last time of the day, she just cuts the power to the door until morning. She always says that if her house catches fire during the night she will just drive her car through the door rather than worry about flipping the switch. I'd not be to worried about my car if my house caught fire during the night myself.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #7

Hmm, not a bad idea at all, except I have a detached garage.

Wouldn't the "lock" button on the door opener work similar to this?

Advertisement