Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Opener Won't Work

I apologize for not having the exact model, but I know it's a Craftsman. It was fine, but all of a sudden here's the problem:
-I pressed remote and it would not open but it still makes the humming sound like it does when it opens normally
-I can easily open and close it manually
-When I lift it manually, it won't stay up by itself; I have to hold it up

Based on this info, do you have any idea what the problem could be and how I could possibly fix it? I know some problems have easy fixes and I would hate to call someone in to look at it if I don't need to.
lyssa615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #2

It could be that the release latch has come unlatched. The latch should have a rope attached to it and possibly be near the door.

However, if you lift the door and it will not stay up, it might be a good idea to have a garage door pro come out and look at your door tensioning system.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
BDB

Most garage door openers have plastic gear sprockets, They strip out very easy and very frequent. This could possibly be the problem.
BDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #4

Not really enough information. Size of door, weight, metal, insulated, wood, and age of opener. Need that to even give you a decent guess. As mentioned you should probably call a professional if the door won't stay up once you've raised it.