Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage door opener recommendation.

I am trying to get a recommendation on a good quality garage door opener. I would prefer one with METAL gears instead of plastic/nylon junk.

Does such a thing exist in today's disposable world?

I currently have a 1/2 hp Chamberlain that started making a loud buzzing noise at times then would not work at all then I found out that the gear threads inside were shredded to bits.
It is a chain drive and has plastic gears.

Why can they not make these things out of steel so you don't have to throw the darn thing away just because of a component failure?

I guess I can replace the gears but I would rather try to find a unit that is going to give me years of trouble free operation.

jowint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

The gear was shredded, because the door & opener were not properly set up. Replace the gears, and get the door properly balanced on the springs before reattaching back to the fixed opener.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

Yeah, it did seem like the door was harder to lift up since the garage door opener broke.
Looks like my springs loosened up on me somehow.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

It's the springs that lift the weight of the door. They should be adjusted so when you lift the door and let it go, it stays where you left it. It shouldn't drop to the ground or raise up by itself.
After this is done, you attach the garage door opener.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Think of it like a Pully & Weight. Perfectly balanced, it is easy to lift. Out of balance, it is harder to lift.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #6

I adjusted them yesterday, seems fine now, just waiting for the new gear set I ordered.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Go to a bike shop and get the bearing lube in the green tube. It and bike chain lube on the chain is what I use for my opener. Works better than Wd-40, which should never be used, and some of the other lubes.

When I get home from the hospital tomorrow, I will get both product names and post back.