Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Opener Problems

Wasn't sure where to post this at so I thought I'd start here. We have a 1/2 horsepower Craftsman garage door opener & it goes up about 4" & stops, then I push the button again & it closes & comes back open about 4" & stops. I cleaned the sensors & also made sure that they are aligned. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Rusty513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #2

First thing that I would do is pull the rope on the carriage to disengage the opener from the door, and check the operation of the door. If balanced properly, you should be able to manually raise the door with relative ease, and the door should should remain in place at any point of its' travel, including fully open and fully closed; if not, the next step would be to call a door company, and have the springs adjusted or replaced. Be very careful doing this test, as garage doors are heavy objects, and can quickly injure someone, or worse. If the springs are okay, the drive unit probably just needs to be adjusted, for which there are adjustment screws on the opener, and for which instructions will be described in the owner's manual.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
First thing that I would do is pull the rope on the carriage to disengage the opener from the door, and check the operation of the door. If balanced properly, you should be able to manually raise the door with relative ease, and the door should should remain in place at any point of its' travel, including fully open and fully closed; if not, the next step would be to call a door company, and have the springs adjusted or replaced. Be very careful doing this test, as garage doors are heavy objects, and can quickly injure someone, or worse. If the springs are okay, the drive unit probably just needs to be adjusted, for which there are adjustment screws on the opener, and for which instructions will be described in the owner's manual.
Thanks, I already had done this as far as disengaging the door & it goes up & down with ease. It's just weird that this is happening all of the sudden.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

Depending on where you are located, and if it's cold there, it could be that the rollers, etc. are just enough tighter, or that something has shifted just enough, to cause it to bind a little bit, and that is where a little tweak of the drive tension adjustment screw might solve the problem. And of course there are other things, such as the drive gear that could be going out, but you did not mention it continuing to run, so my guess, at this point, is a simple adjustment.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Depending on where you are located, and if it's cold there, it could be that the rollers, etc. are just enough tighter, or that something has shifted just enough, to cause it to bind a little bit, and that is where a little tweak of the drive tension adjustment screw might solve the problem. And of course there are other things, such as the drive gear that could be going out, but you did not mention it continuing to run, so my guess, at this point, is a simple adjustment.
Thanks for your help. I went out to the garage to adjust it & thought I would try it first & now it is working fine without me even doing anything, who knows, ha ha!!!! i will see if it acts up again & make the adjustments if need be.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #6

Where are you located? We here in NJ are having a severe cold spell and mine yesterday did the same as you describe. After I manually cycled it and felt no obvious problems, I hooked it back up and it worked fine.

Until this morning. Repeat above. Wait for warmer weather.

I don't want to jack up the lift force adjustment as the combination of frigid plastic gears and increased force is not a good combo in my eyes.
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoll View Post
Where are you located? We here in NJ are having a severe cold spell and mine yesterday did the same as you describe. After I manually cycled it and felt no obvious problems, I hooked it back up and it worked fine.

Until this morning. Repeat above. Wait for warmer weather.

I don't want to jack up the lift force adjustment as the combination of frigid plastic gears and increased force is not a good combo in my eyes.
Yup, Ohio & it's about 15 degrees here
Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

A balmy 9 F here this morning.

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote