Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2006, 12:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Garage door opener problem

I'm having trouble with a 1987 Stanley garage door opener. Hard wired wall switch works, remote won't work. Batteries are good. No obstructions. When a different remote is programmed to match, it won't work. I assume the problem is in the main unit but would like to know if it's an easy trouble shoot or if it's time for a new opener?

ffishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #2

1987, huh? Would that still have the toggle type switches for programming codes (i.e. the little white tabs you click up/down to program)? I'm guessing it doesn't have the "rolling" code that changes. First, have you tried Googling for a fix? I sort of did and came up with this http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...age_remote.htm

It appears Stanley is not even in business anymore. So that might make it harder to find a fix. Is there any type of button on the garage door unit that looks like a reset button? Short of making sure all the little toggle switches in the garage door opener and remote match (assuming your model is not new enough to NOT have the toggles), and a fresh battery is used, there may be some internal problems within the garage door's electronics.....the wall mounted (hardwired) remote shouldn't be affected by this, I wouldn't think. How many remotes do you have? And is it only a new remote that won't work?

Again, if you can't find the manual (not likely given the age and you're probably not the original owner), I'd look for the model number and Google "troubleshooting" using that.

daveincincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #3

Assuming your opener has an external antenna, check to make sure it is there and also has a tight, clean connection. Usually that's just a screw. I have two 1976 Genie openers, one of which I had to lengthen the antenna. Very easy to do. Good luck.
Bill
Bill46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #4

Thanks daveincincy and Bill46, I will check the antenna. As far as the remote, it is so old it doesn't have the row of micro switches but instead a row of wire links. By cutting selected links you tune the remote to the opener. When we tried a newer version remote with the switches it wouldn't work either.
ffishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:21 AM   #5
retaining wall project

One of our two remotes wasn't working so I bought another one at Home Depot.

Then I took the malfunctioning one apart and a transitor type part had broken loose, and was sliding back and forth in it's attachment near the top.

When I moved the part right in the center, viola!, the remote worked again. Then I glued the part back in position and the remote is again functioning well.
johnlvs2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #6

As a last resort, you might try to turn off the circuit breaker (or unplug the unit) that supplies power to the unit and leave it off for a few minutes. Sometimes it will reset itself and it may work after the power is turned back on.

???

Is the antenna broken?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote