Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
ARB

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Garage Door Opener DOA?

My garage door opener has suddenly stopped working and I thought I'd check in with you all to see if there is anything I can do...

This is a Wayne-Dalton model 2113. It was there when I bought my house seven years ago, so it might possibly be as old as the house (18 years old). Basically, it is acting as if no power is getting to it. (Yes, it's plugged in and yes, I checked the receptacle ). It responds to neither the hard-wired buttons nor the remotes. The only indication of power is the little light on the sensors. I removed the cover and all connections seem to be tight and there is nothing that appears to be visibly wrong.

Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks!

ARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Another problem could be the sensors that look across the doorway to make sure it's not obstructed prior to closing. There's a little photo eye near the ground on the track on each side side of the door. They usually have a small LED and you should see it flash when you put your hand in front of it and remove it. One site is the transmitter, one side is a receiver, it will only flash on the receiver side so you may need to test both sides. On most will openers the photo eyes can be disconnected for testing (or permanently if you desire).

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
ARB

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Another problem could be the sensors that look across the doorway to make sure it's not obstructed prior to closing. There's a little photo eye near the ground on the track on each side side of the door. They usually have a small LED and you should see it flash when you put your hand in front of it and remove it. One site is the transmitter, one side is a receiver, it will only flash on the receiver side so you may need to test both sides. On most will openers the photo eyes can be disconnected for testing (or permanently if you desire).
Thanks for the suggestion... I actually did check that as well; sorry I forgot to mention it in the original post. I even cleaned both the transmitter and receiver. No dice.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 64

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Such is the dilemma.....you don't know how old....so is it worth fixing?

Sounds like you checked all the obvious options.

If it was the sensors....you usually get an indication...typically the light will flash....

About the only thing to try is disconnect power, then re-apply and then see if it works....Does the light work?

You might also try disconnecting the door and see if the carriage will operate without any load on it.

Given the age....might be time for an upgrade....

If so....may I suggest looking at the Liftmaster 3800? They mount on the wall and connect directly to the torsion shaft....gets all that stuff off the ceiling of your garage.

I keep hoping my screw drive will die so I can justify going that way.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
ARB

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Such is the dilemma.....you don't know how old....so is it worth fixing?

Sounds like you checked all the obvious options.

If it was the sensors....you usually get an indication...typically the light will flash....

About the only thing to try is disconnect power, then re-apply and then see if it works....Does the light work?

You might also try disconnecting the door and see if the carriage will operate without any load on it.

Given the age....might be time for an upgrade....

If so....may I suggest looking at the Liftmaster 3800? They mount on the wall and connect directly to the torsion shaft....gets all that stuff off the ceiling of your garage.

I keep hoping my screw drive will die so I can justify going that way.
Thanks for your message!

Yeah, tried disconnecting power and re-applying. Nada. Tried disconnecting the door. Nada. Lightbulb? Nada.

I'll definitely check out the Liftmaster 3800. Also, since we're talking, what's your take on this Sommer opener? I'm usually more comfortable with name brands that I know, but the direct drive design, lifetime warranty, 3/4 HP motor, and particularly passionate reviews are hard to ignore...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
JOATMON

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB View Post
Thanks for your message!

Yeah, tried disconnecting power and re-applying. Nada. Tried disconnecting the door. Nada. Lightbulb? Nada.

I'll definitely check out the Liftmaster 3800. Also, since we're talking, what's your take on this Sommer opener? I'm usually more comfortable with name brands that I know, but the direct drive design, lifetime warranty, 3/4 HP motor, and particularly passionate reviews are hard to ignore...
I have never heard of them or seen that drive.....interesting idea.....

But you should really check out the Liftmaster.....even more simple....

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/page...px?modelId=436

It lets you get rid of all that stuff above the door.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Guys,
the LM 3800 is really a special application opener. It is better suited for doors with high lift tracks like in the picture below. When a normal door with horizontal upper tracks is in the up position, and the springs are properly wound, the door sits there with no tension on it. A 3800 opener spins the torsion shaft. When it spins, the door will need a push to get it moving, or the horizontal track needs to be raised in the back to put some weight back on the door so when the shaft moves, the door moves immediately. There is a tension switch that senses a cable starting to unwind with no tension. All that being said, I would recommend you use a regular opener for a normal situation. Liftmaster's 3585 is a 3/4hp, belt drive that works extremely well. Super quiet and very reliable. I install quite a few of them. The other thing is the difference in price. The 3800 is a couple hundred bucks more than the 3585.
Mike Hawkins
Attached Thumbnails
Garage Door Opener DOA?-img_20120527_180043.jpg  
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #8

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Does it have a fuse or a little resettable breaker in it? Look for a little button like in a powerstrip.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
ARB

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Guys,
the LM 3800 is really a special application opener. It is better suited for doors with high lift tracks like in the picture below. When a normal door with horizontal upper tracks is in the up position, and the springs are properly wound, the door sits there with no tension on it. A 3800 opener spins the torsion shaft. When it spins, the door will need a push to get it moving, or the horizontal track needs to be raised in the back to put some weight back on the door so when the shaft moves, the door moves immediately. There is a tension switch that senses a cable starting to unwind with no tension. All that being said, I would recommend you use a regular opener for a normal situation. Liftmaster's 3585 is a 3/4hp, belt drive that works extremely well. Super quiet and very reliable. I install quite a few of them. The other thing is the difference in price. The 3800 is a couple hundred bucks more than the 3585.
Mike Hawkins
Mike, thanks for your input. I'll check out the 3585 as well! I'd also love to get your thoughts on the Sommer opener I mentioned before. I realize that you couldn't specifically recommend it for a customer since you (presumably) have no direct experience with it, but what if it were for your own use? Single moving part, no gears, lifetime warranty, supports an 8 ft door without buying an extension... Would you consider getting it?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
ARB

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evstarr View Post
Does it have a fuse or a little resettable breaker in it? Look for a little button like in a powerstrip.
Ev, I looked for a fuse but didn't see one. I didn't notice a breaker, but I was not specifically looking for one... I'll take another look tonight. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
JOATMON

Garage Door Opener DOA?

If the sensor lights are on.....its getting power.

Unless you find something obviously wrong on the main controller board......most likely toast.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Garage Door Opener DOA?

Looking at the Sommer opener I'm quite skeptical of how good it is. To start with it doesn't have rolling codes for the remotes so what would be very easy for somebody to capture your code and break in. Secondly the motor is seen moving part so somehow the power has to get to it either through slide contacts or an extendible cord, both of which seem like they would become a problem in the long run. Lastly, it's made in Germany and not widely distributed here so I'm sure parts would be expensive and hard to get. You're probably much better off sticking with a Liftmaster, Chamberlain or Sears.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
ARB

Garage Door Opener DOA?

ddawg - Thanks... I suspected that would be the case; I was just hoping I was wrong...

Msradell - Thanks for taking the time to look at the Sommer... All good points.