Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Framing Contractor

Share |

Garage Door Opener Dead?

When pressing the button, or any other button, the opener makes an electrical "groan", but does not open or close the door. Opener is about 17 years old, we installed it new, so I think she has died. Any other suggestions for resuscitation?

sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #2

Garage Door Opener Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
When pressing the button, or any other button, the opener makes an electrical "groan", but does not open or close the door. Opener is about 17 years old, we installed it new, so I think she has died. Any other suggestions for resuscitation?
Chances are that your door opener is good for another 17 years.
Make sure that the door and the traveler run freely.
All the new door openers are made in China and are absolute crap! So you don't want to go there!
Its very unlikely that you will ever get a new one of the same quality. My opinion is that you should do whatever you can to stay with the one that you have.
I bought a 'Genie'(made in China) opener for my home garage but it wasn't compatible for my garage door. A year later I installed it at my cottage, where it was compatible. It worked well, after the install.
When I came back a week later, I tried the opener and for sure the door opened and kept opening and opening and opening and chewed up all the mechanics.
I checked the warranty and it had run out about a month before.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Garage Door Opener Dead?

There is no traveling at the moment. Opener only groans a muffled electrical brief groan each time the button is pushed. No other sounds, no movement on the door, chain, anything.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Garage Door Opener Dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
There is no traveling at the moment. Opener only groans a muffled electrical brief groan each time the button is pushed. No other sounds, no movement on the door, chain, anything.
Motors that must start under load usually have a capacitor wired into the start winding circuit. These capacitors usually have a limited lifespan and over the course of time fail.
I would suggest that you would take the whole opener assembly to an electrical motor repair shop and have them check the motor out.
If its a capacitor the repair won't be very expensive.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote