Garage Door Lock (getting In) - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Garage door lock (getting in)

Is it "easy" to add one of those locks (keyed) to a garage door that has no handle?

Explanation:

Our garage doors are remote opener friendly only. When the remote died the other day, and the other two remotes were in the garage, it kind got me thinking.

I know I could put in a key pad, but that would solve only half the problem. We live out in the country, and if there is no power, there is no garage door.

So...I now I used to see these little keyed locks that were where the handles used to be on garage doors. One would simply unlock and pull on it. I am assuming it would have been connected in some way to the emergency pull IN the garage (the red handle).

Any ideas if these can be connected to a garage door without handles or anything else?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Do you have a regular door besides the garage door to get into this space? If you do have another form of entrance and exit, you do not need the lockset that has the cable to pull the release. If you don't, yes it is easy to do.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #3

No door. Well, there is (was) a door, but it is not accessible anymore.

Will Menards/Lowes have this or do I need to go to a garage door company for this cable?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Yes, any hardware store will have them. I ordered mine online, when we lost the key to the one on our garage door.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 764

You can break into most garages with a wire hanger in under 10 seconds with a little practice. Search YouTube for breaking into garage.
mikegp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 702

The only locks I've even seen on a garage door is for one with no electric door opener and you would also have to have the flat rods that feed into the side rails.
Trying to picture how a knob on the door is going to be able to pull the unlocking latch at that angle and with that much torc.
Post a picture if you can find one.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 172

This is what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-77..._ob_hi_title_0

The lock plate mounts to the outside of the door and the cable ties to the trolley release inside. In the event of a power failure or otherwise disabled garage door opener, you use the key to release the lock tumbler from the plate and then pull the cable to trip the emergency release. This will disconnect the door from the opener trolley allowing the door to be manually opened.
iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies.

iamrfixit: that is exactly what I was talking about.

My hardware store didn't even know what I was talking about

I am not worried about someone breaking in. I want to be able to GET IN if there is a lack of power, etc.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #9

I was saying that YOU can break in pretty easily if you really had to. It's scary actually.

Last edited by mikegp; 01-28-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
I was saying that YOU can break in pretty easily if you really had to. It's scary actually.
Yes, you can break the glass on the side of mine, kick in the wood, drive a vehicle through the door (any garage door out there). If a person is really persistent, they will get into anything. Otherwise, if they know that there is something on the other side guarding the space, or a homeowner with a gun, they will not even try.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 702

Why is that passage door no longer accessable?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

I am guessing that they have something blocking it, to keep people from using it to enter the space. I have a neighbor across the street that wants to disable his, due to someone tried to break in. It is on our list of stuff to do this summer, since I have the tools and patience to do it, compared to him. Plus I am getting paid for it.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yes, you can break the glass on the side of mine, kick in the wood, drive a vehicle through the door (any garage door out there). If a person is really persistent, they will get into anything. Otherwise, if they know that there is something on the other side guarding the space, or a homeowner with a gun, they will not even try.
I'm talking about this:

It works on most garages. Zip tie the release to avoid someone doing it to you.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
Retired from the grind

That video that you posted only works without a cable release if you did not notice. Did you even look at it? They are catching the release point, not the cable, so your suggestion to zip tie the cable is beyond what you posted. Besides, all you have to do with that door, is place something over your hand and break the glass to grab it.

So again, what is your point, other than trying to be like Chicken Little?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #15

You zip tie the release. The piece that pops down in the vid. Not sure what part of this you are misunderstanding.

I'm telling the op that he could open his own garage in an emergency without adding a special cable release system that has a lock and key. Again, not sure what you are misunderstanding there either. Please let me know and I can clear it up for you.

Advertisement