Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #1

Share |

garage door lock

Hi,
We purchased a house back in August and my garage door have always been functioning well. I never tried to open/close it manually and always used the remote.
Last week we had a long power outage and I had no choice but opening the garage door manually. I pulled the emergency cord and opened the garage door.
When we got power back, the door wasn't opening and closing smoothly but after a few attempts I fixed that problem. Now, out of curiosity, I tried to open the door manually while the emergency cord wasn't in the "manual position" and the door opened just fine.
Basically I believe my garage door doesn't lock and you can open/close it from both inside and outside both by remote and manually.
I gave a quick look at the door but I cannot figure out how the lock is supposed to work. Plus, I'm not even sure the door was ever locking, as I never tried to open it manually before last week's power outage.
Can anyone explain me how the lock is supposed to work? Or, are there chances that the emergency cord is not working?
Thanks,
Jack_J

jack_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #2

garage door lock

The door itself never locks when you have an opener installed. The opener is the lock. It sounds like the manual release has not engaged properly.

joed is offline   Reply With Quote