Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Issue

So this morning one of our garage door openers would not close the door. (Liftmaster model 248739M, ~2 years old, belt drive)

I disconnected the door from the drive mech and could easily move the door by hand. Even with the door disconnected the drive mech would start, then stop, reverse and the lights would flash.

I noticed the belt was loose (almost hanging below the track rod assembly) so I tightened that. That did not really help though it did seem to go further.

Then I increased the down force from 2 to about 7 (scale is 1-9). That helped some (drive mech went further before reversing) but not perfect.

The door opens without any problems (either by hand or with the opener).

Any thoughts?

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #2

Garage Door Issue

I bet the safety mechanism is misfiring. The two sensors at the floor just inside the door either have dirt in them, or got knocked out of alignment.

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

Garage Door Issue

Possibly the sensors, but I did check that they were not grossly misaligned or blocked.

Funny thing is that a couple weeks ago early one morning I had a similar issue but that was caused by the sun shining directly into one of the eyes. When I stood outside with my shadow shading the eye it worked perfectly. That time. No such luck this morning.

I will mess with the sensors more this evening.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

Garage Door Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoll View Post
Possibly the sensors, but I did check that they were not grossly misaligned or blocked.

Funny thing is that a couple weeks ago early one morning I had a similar issue but that was caused by the sun shining directly into one of the eyes. When I stood outside with my shadow shading the eye it worked perfectly. That time. No such luck this morning.

I will mess with the sensors more this evening.
Ah huh. Maybe there's a reflection this time?

It's the exact behavior of the safety sensors so if they are not out of alignment or dirty, maybe a wire came loose or something else associated with them?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

Garage Door Issue

You're right; it does point to the sensors, but why would the drive mech go further down the rail after I increased the down force?

Also, when the door was disconnected from the drive mech and fully closed (i.e. no sun at all on the eye) it did the same thing.

I did not get down on the ground and check the wires going in/out of the sensors as i was dressed for work. Will check that tonight.

Good ideas, please keep them coming!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #6

Garage Door Issue

There should be a red and a green light on the sencors. If it's blinking there's a problum.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #7

Garage Door Issue

I think you got a hang up in the drive somewhere. The excess force engages the auto reverse.
PoleCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #8

Garage Door Issue

Oddly, the opener worked without a hitch multiple times yesterday afternoon, evening and again this morning.

However, it was not sunny this morning and that seems to be when the problem occurs. I know that doesn't make much sense but it is (so far) when the problem occurs.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #9

Garage Door Issue

A reflection/ambient light issue with the sensors?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Garage Door Issue

With a liftmaster, when they start down and reverse after about 6" of travel and then the light blink on and off, it's almost always a sensor issue. Just went on a call the other day where both sensor's led's were lit and the door was doing as described above. I could see where one of the sensors was angled slightly in relation to the other. The active sensor must have been just picking up a hair of the beam, enough to make the leds light up, but not enough for the circuit board to ok travel. Once I realigned the eye, the door worked normally again.
The other issue somebody above mentioned about the sunlight is a known problem. When the sun shines at a certain angle and depending on the door's directional orientation, the beam will get washed out. I have five overhead doors, and only one does this. Happens infrequently enough where it's not a big deal. If it were to happen more often to where it becomes a pita, I have made wooden spacers and moved the eyes behind the rails where they're a little more shrouded from the sun.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #11

Garage Door Issue

If it is sun washout maybe you can fashion a hood for the sensor that is exposed. You could check on that quick enough by setting up something outside that casts a shadow on that area in the morning then try the door.

PoleCat is online now   Reply With Quote