Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Install

I have a Garage Door by C.H.I Overhead Doors. I recently bought a garage door opener and wanted to install it. While I was looking at the Garage door itself, it has a sticker on it that basically says, "Do not attach a garage door opener without a reinforcement bar". Then it says to refer to the instruction manual, which I do not have since I didn't install the garage door. I can’t seem to find a manual on C.H.I's website.

I assume the reinforcement bar is what I would attach to the garage door, and then I attach the garage door opener to that? Is there any standard type of reinforcement bar that I should get? I have a steel door, so I assume the reinforcement bar is that I don't rip the garage door opener arm from the garage door.

Also I was looking at my garage door and I see red screws, what is the significance of the red screws vs the other screws?

Thanks,

marly

marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #2

Garage Door Install

I'd get a piece of aluminum angle iron at the home store and use it to brace the top of the top section where the opener arm attaches.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #3

Garage Door Install

Get some perforated angle. Cut two pcs and form a "T" and screw/bolt it to the center of the top panel of the door. Home depot/Lowes have it.

It wouldn't hurt to find out where the angle should be fastened. If it's an insulated door there should be a reinforced piece designed for that purpose. Keep searching for someone that has a manual or......take your chances. Just my 2