Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Door Help Needed

I have a problem with my garage door. It only occurs in the cold winter months.

When trying to open the door, it stops about 6-12 inches from the ground. Pressing the button again, returns it to the ground and opens it again, and it either opens or gets stuck again. I am usually able to open it completely after trying this 3-4 times. Although this morning, it took about 30 tries. I have no problems closing the door.

What could be wrong??? I am guessing it has to do with the temperature, since this only happens in the cold. It started last winter, but then stopped and worked fine all summer. Now we have this problem again.

LaffyTaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Landscape contractor

Garage Door Help Needed

laffytaffy, mines doing the same thing. I'm no garage tech but I have installed several. The grease in the tracks on mine is really stiff and cold and gummy, so I sprayed the tracks and wheels with a white lithium lubricant, so far it's helped considerably. My garage door opener is very old, like from '59. Is yours an old one also? Anybody out there have any good suggestions for this problem?

timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Garage Door Help Needed

Quote:
I am guessing it has to do with the temperature, since this only happens in the cold.
Ayuh,.......

My 1st Guess is,.......
The Garage/ Door frame/ Foundation is Shifting with the Frost,+ is binding the door........
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #4

Garage Door Help Needed

Any chance you are getting moisture freezing the panels together?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Sr. Development Engineer

Garage Door Help Needed

jogr is close to what I was thinking. If the door has moisture in it, then freezes, the weight is still there. If I leave my door open during rains, it gets so heavy that I have to assist it until it drys out.
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #6

Garage Door Help Needed

It is an old garage door. The house was built in 1969, and I believe that is the original garage door. I can try some lubricant on the tracks, that may even help with the small squeaks that we had this summer.

I am not sure the foundation is shifting, the garage floor is cement, with no cracks. Moisture may be a problem, although it is very dry air here. I had big plans to re-paint it this summer, and replace all the weather stripping, but got busy with other projects and never got to that one. Guess I really should have bumped it up on my list. It is under a 6 foot awning, so it stays relatively dry. But, snow blows around easy, and very easily could have gotten into it. I can hit it with an air dryer and see if that helps too.

I really appreciate the suggestions, I would like to be able to fix this myself. I will let you know how the lubricant and air dryer work.
LaffyTaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Sr. Development Engineer

Garage Door Help Needed

You might try first spraying some penetrating oil on the tracks and anything that has oil or grease in it. This will dilute the grease that may be dry and thick. Once it is running free, wipe this clean and replace with lithium grease which won't thin out as quickly.
DrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #8

Garage Door Help Needed

Sounds to me as though your garage door opener's limit switches may need a litle tweaking so as to overcome any marginal resistance because of cold weather.

Take a chunk of old 2x4 and put on its 2" side in directly in line with the door so that the door will close down on it roughly 4" from the ground. Adjust the motor's limit switches (one is for closing force, the other is for opening) as necessary so that when the door comes down and strikes the 2x4, the door's travel stops immediately, the motor reverses and the door begins to open back upwards, all within 1 and 1/2 seconds.

This is the motor's built-in safety feature that's designed to prevent a person from being crushed under the door's weight in the event that the eyes on the side do not interrupt the circuit first.

End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote