Garage Ceiling: Wet And Moldy (pics)- How To Fix? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10

Garage ceiling: Wet and moldy (pics)- how to fix?

**Sorry if this is the wrong section, but it's a mold/pipes/drywall issue so I'm not sure which would be best, so I came here**

I recently bought a home, and to my dismay it seems as though the previous owner had "painted" over a problem. This is what it looked like (the "hole" is from me giving a firm press against the ceiling-- it crumbled)

I cut into the ceiling, and I see insulation behind it. I believe our master bathroom is directly above this, so I'm thinking a leaky pipe might be the cause. Does this look like a serious mold issue?

After pushing back the insulation, I can see the pipe. It seems to me this is possibly a drain pipe from the shower? The walls in the back look dry and free of mold...

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I really don't want to go the route of mold treatment / tearing down walls if I don't have to. Thanks!!


RiskyBiz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 79
Rewards Points: 95

Mould requires three things, food, water and a temperature above 40f.
Mould cannot eat fibreglass, you can stop the pipe leaking, the 40f a problem?


Perry525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652

You have no choice but to tear down walls & ceiling, not knowing how far the leak spread.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,849
Rewards Points: 2,012

Cut out the drywall and get rid of it for as far as it appears to have been wet plus 12". Get rid of the fiberglass insulation. Mold can't live on fiberglass, but there is enough settled dust in it for mold to thrive and it will continue to hold moisture for a long time. Anything that can't be removed needs to be scrubbed clean or sanded clean, then treated with a fungicide and sealed with something like Kilz. Of course you need to resolve the moisture problem first.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
Too Old
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South of North
Posts: 345
Rewards Points: 250

I hope you are wearing the proper respirator.
"Yeah, it's a nice garage, but you have to keep it heated at all times so it doesn't mess up your roof line."
havalife is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1