DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Garage brick wall repair

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Just Bill 
#1 ·
A lady crashed her car into my garage wall and the damage is extensive. There is a huge hole in the center of the wall and the rest of the wall will have to be taken down.
I am considering trying to replace the damaged brick wall with a stud wall but I dont know if it is a good idea or possible. My problem is how can i tie the stud wall to the other remaining 3 brick walls? When i take the damaged wall down, the brick corners are interlaced.
Would I have to turn the corners with new brick and then try to tie into the new brick?
This is a totally new circumstance for me and any help would be appreciated.
JIM

#3 ·
From your description, I am guessing this is a true brick wall(old), double brick thick, not a veneer brick wall??? If it is , everything supports everything else, and needs the hands of a pro. Removed the back wall would weaken the side walls, it is essentially a monolithic structure. Unless the woman was your wife or a family member, there should be insurance to cover all or most of the cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.