Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Garage with basement below

I would like some advice. I own a home built in 1960. I bought the house in 1989. I live in MN so the weather changes drastically. Here is my concern. My cement garage floor is cracking and leaking into the basement room below it. The steel beam on the ceiling is rusting as well as the electrical outlets. Needless to say, the room is very damp. The room had been finished off as a workshop several years before I bought the home.The walls in the room below the garage are concrete block and there is one heat vent in the room. I have always kept the door shut which also doesn't help the moisture issue. I am in the process of gutting out the room as I no longer want to use it. My concern is whether the garage floor above the room is safe if it is cracking? I will also note that inside the garage (above the basement room), the floor is uneven. I believe it has settled in spots, but this is not a new issue. I don't want to pull in my garage someday and find myself parking in the basement!! Please, if there are any contractors or cement folks out there, please tell me what I should do next. What type of contactor would I call to do an inspection? Thank you. Irene Alice

irenealice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Experienced

Hello and welcome Irene Alice, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

Firstly, pirtures always work very well when asking questions.

Secondly, if you are that concerned for the integrity of the contcrete floor you might want to get an engineer to inspect the structure.

Mark

Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #3

My last house had a similar situation. The garage floor was made from hollow-core concrete, pre-cast. I became concerned about the same thing...structural integrity, moisture, etc... I decided that I was simply going to fill in the room below with gravel. Then I decided to sell the house.

Still, I think filling the room below is a good option to consider.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote