Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
US ARMY RETIRED

Share |

Garage 6' Workbench

Hello all,

I searched all over the internet for plans and ideas for garage workbenches and did not find much. I took ideas from several of the pictures and websites I could find to come up with a bench to work for me.

I wanted a bench that I could roll around and use as an outfeed table for the table saw. Additionally, by building two of them and putting them back to back I will have a 6'x4' buildup table. There is an overhang of 3" on the front and sides to use as a clamping surface but the back is flush so it sits neatly against the garage wall or against the other bench.

Additionally, it still needed to be strong enough to really put force on. All the critical joints are glued and screwed together. The top is a sheet (24"x72"x3/4") of MDF topped with a sheet (24"x72"x3/4") plywood. The MDF is glued and screwed to the carcass and the plywood is only screwed through the MDF to the carcass. This will allow me to replace the top if necessary. The wheels are 3" dual locking casters so the wheel roll locks as well as the caster.

I think I spent roughly $175 for materials at one of the big box stores but the wheels came from Tractor Supply.

The bottom is 3/4" plywood but the back and sides are 1/2" plywood. As pictured below, I have not yet installed the shelves or doors.

The tools I used were circular saw, chop saw, jig saw, router (3/4" straight bit & 1/2" flush cut bit), cordless drill/driver. And Glue.

I am interested in everyone's comments and feed back.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage 6' Workbench-img_20130525_104349.jpg  
Attached Images

ACR_SCOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

Garage 6' Workbench

Seems like a really good solid bench. One suggestion a formica top, glue it down just enough to hold it. Makes a really nice surface to work on, glue and other spills clean up easy, and is really slick when using for in or outfeed table and is replaceable. can get in sheets at big box.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #3

Garage 6' Workbench

I like the formica idea too. Other than that you could probably roll that thing in front of bus and expect the bus to lose.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #4

Garage 6' Workbench

Might want to consider a work vise. You could also drill some holes for stop dogs. You could also install a hard wire box so you have a power supply close at hand without the worry of cords, just a few thoughts. Great job on it and I hope it brings you lots of credits from the job jar.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote