Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

Furnace vent on Roof

I hope someone can answer this question. Do I have anything to worry about if I never see any exhaust or smoke coming from the roof top pipe which leads from the furnace? If so who should I call for this type of problem? How can I test it to make sure I'm just not missing it during the period the furnace is running.

roofvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #2

Furnace vent on Roof

It depends on what your furnace is burning. Wood? Oil? Gas? When a wood stove is running, it only shows smoke when first igniting. After it warms up, you can sometimes only see steam coming from the stack if it is cold outside. OTOH my 90% effecient gas frunace and my gas stove never show anything coming out the stack AFAIK. Actually, the gas furnace does not have a stack, just a PVC pipe coming through the wall. It drips a little water.

CalMvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #3

Furnace vent on Roof

it's an American Standard Freedom 80 Gas Furnace. I also have a gas water heater as well does that vent from roof?
The reason I'm concerned is because I see smoke coming from all the other pipes on roof tops. all the other homes were built the same time as mine (9years ago).. So you don't think I have anything to be concerned with.
It is cold outside the temp here (Chicago) is 10 degrees today.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #4

Furnace vent on Roof

The 80 in the furnace name implies that it is 80% effecient and probably you will never see fumes from it. The water heater also will probably never show fumes. My gas water heater does vent through the roof.
CalMvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM   #5

Furnace vent on Roof

Thanks so much I feel better. this is an ideal site for women like me who know nothing about these type of issues.