Furnace Rebate Contractor Problem??? TIA - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Furnace rebate contractor problem??? TIA

here is a question that i need to ask some contractors about, with regards to a legal issue i might have to take up with my contractor. hear me out please, as I don't want this to turn bad for me.

I was looking to get new duct work run in my house so i contacted a local HVAC contractor to look at it. he explained that my furnace was near its end of life(which i was also aware of), and that NYSEG was having a great deal on a rebate for new furnaces. I looked into it, and seemed like a good deal, but they had specific requirements for the installer: Federal tax ID, Certificate of Insurance or Business certificate needed for proof of purchase. I asked if he meet these qualifications for the installer and he said "yes". At the time i decided to not have the furnace done and just do the duct work. well, he tested the furnace and it had a major crack(or 2)in the heat exchanger,and stated that he had to shut it down. At this point i said that i might as well take advantage of the rebate through NYSEG and get a really good furnace installed, so he did everything and even filled out parts of the rebate form.

Now its time to sent in the rebate, and i don't have any of the things required by NYSEG for the installer. I contacted him about this numerous time over the last week, he initially said he would get to to me, but hasn't followed through. its been over a week now, and he isn't answering my calls or returning any of the many messages i have left for him.

Any i deas of what i can/should do?? is there any way that i can take him to small claims court for the rebate money?


rodnig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer
Bondo's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 6,665
Rewards Points: 1,736

Any i deas of what i can/should do??
Ayuh,.... Your local office of the State Attorney General's office, or the Better Business Bureau probably can Help...
is there any way that i can take him to small claims court for the rebate money?


Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,188
Rewards Points: 5,336

His tax ID number and insurance carrier should be on file with the local licensing agency. If he's a Corporation, you can check with your state online.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lennox Furnace G27M Series Unreliable operation: pressure switch or else? sheppard1977 HVAC 7 01-14-2013 05:42 PM
Furnace air filtration advice stephen_smith HVAC 7 12-24-2010 02:24 AM
Oil furnace does not fire up sbhavinm HVAC 5 01-17-2009 07:06 AM
Problems with new furnace..Overheating, having to reset. Furnace too big? Tommy2 HVAC 41 12-01-2008 01:55 PM
New Cased Coil - Install to Furnace - PICTURES!! hartkem HVAC 39 11-18-2008 01:45 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1