Furnace Rebate Contractor Problem??? TIA - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furnace rebate contractor problem??? TIA

here is a question that i need to ask some contractors about, with regards to a legal issue i might have to take up with my contractor. hear me out please, as I don't want this to turn bad for me.

I was looking to get new duct work run in my house so i contacted a local HVAC contractor to look at it. he explained that my furnace was near its end of life(which i was also aware of), and that NYSEG was having a great deal on a rebate for new furnaces. I looked into it, and seemed like a good deal, but they had specific requirements for the installer: Federal tax ID, Certificate of Insurance or Business certificate needed for proof of purchase. I asked if he meet these qualifications for the installer and he said "yes". At the time i decided to not have the furnace done and just do the duct work. well, he tested the furnace and it had a major crack(or 2)in the heat exchanger,and stated that he had to shut it down. At this point i said that i might as well take advantage of the rebate through NYSEG and get a really good furnace installed, so he did everything and even filled out parts of the rebate form.

Now its time to sent in the rebate, and i don't have any of the things required by NYSEG for the installer. I contacted him about this numerous time over the last week, he initially said he would get to to me, but hasn't followed through. its been over a week now, and he isn't answering my calls or returning any of the many messages i have left for him.

Any i deas of what i can/should do?? is there any way that i can take him to small claims court for the rebate money?

Advertisement

rodnig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
Any i deas of what i can/should do??
Ayuh,.... Your local office of the State Attorney General's office, or the Better Business Bureau probably can Help...
Quote:
is there any way that i can take him to small claims court for the rebate money?
Nope...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

His tax ID number and insurance carrier should be on file with the local licensing agency. If he's a Corporation, you can check with your state online.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote