Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #1

Share |

furnace issues

My furnace is gas operated will shut off before reaching the temp set on the thermostat, the fan will work and the flame will start and shut off, the flame will try to start but it will not stay on, and finally the whole system will shut off, I check the filter and I can see the flame will ignite but not hold the flame, any suggestions on how to address this problem??
gusyve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 AM   #2

furnace issues

You omit a few minor things, like the age of the heater, manufacturer, etc. Since you can see the flame, I will assume fairly old. There may be flame sensors which could be faulty, a bad gas valve, bad ovetrtemp sensors, etc.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #3

furnace issues

The brand is confortmaker RPJ 2 model GUI 100A016AIN, I think the furnace was installed in 1998, and I can see the blue flames because I remove the front cover. It works sometimes and holds the temp, but other times does what I stated previously. Any suggestions??
Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #4

furnace issues

Does the gas come, then it ignites, the flame stays lit for about 10 or 15 seconds and then the gas suts off ?
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

furnace issues

flame sensor. requires solid ground and a clean (possibly new) sensor.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #6

furnace issues

First the igniter lights up to a high orange/yellowish color and then the gas will be release, the flame will stay on for about 5 to 10 seconds and shut off again, an it will try again . the fan is on while all this it's taking place, I can see the sensor looks like a nail in front of one of the flames( there are 4 flames). Can I clean it ie just buy a new one and go from there. It's so wired because today it wasn't doing it, it was holding temperature. Thanks fir all the feedback
Old 11-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #7

furnace issues

As the Doc said, in all lilelyhood its the flame sensor. I expect its the "nail" you see. A flame sensor is actually very simple. Its just a wire. A flame is a plasma, and will conduct electricity, so if there is a flame present, a current in the flame sensor will have a path to ground. The flame sensor is probably dirty. So your furnace is figuring that the flame has not ignited, and turns off the gas. My furnace will try this 3 times, and then give up. Usually, a flame sensor can be cleaned (first turning off the power to the furnace) and then removing it (probably just one screw) and LIGHTLY sanding it with VERY FINE sand paper.
Or one can just buy a new flame sensor. How much can they possibly charge for what is basically just a wire ?

Last edited by SPS-1; 11-09-2011 at 10:38 AM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #8

furnace issues

Thank u, I'll go ahead and clean the flame sensor ( nail) and post back with the results, once again, thank you everyone.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #9

furnace issues

******update****** so far is holding temperature after sanding down the sensor, once I got it out I also noticed that the actual connector had rust on it, so I sand it down and cleaned the rust also, hopefully it remains working, I'll keep an eye on it for a couple more days, thanks to all again.