Furance Problem - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Furance Problem

Hi everyone - this is my first post and I am hoping someone can help me. I noticed now for about a month that my oil hot water furnace has been producing what looks like soot. It is going all over my furnace room. If this wasn't bad enough this morning I noticed while I was cleaning up the soot that at the back of my furnace there was a circular looking white spot. I thought this was odd and when I checked it about 30 minutes later I saw that it was red hot. I mean the box that surrounds the furnace. It looked like fire was going to come through at anytime and it was bulged out where the red spot is. Please tell me, what this mean. I have 3 small children.

thank you,
Charlene

Advertisement

molly_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Furance Problem

Plugged vent pipe?

Can you supply a photo?

I would call heating pro before something goes wrong.

Advertisement

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Furance Problem

Hey there,
Thanks for the reply. I did actually call a furnace guy this morning. It turns out I need a new furnace. There was an actual hole in the boiler, which was very dangerous. The new furnace is going to cost $2200.00 before installation YIKES right before Xmas. But oh well, it could have been worse, much worse.

Thanks again,
Charlene
molly_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
rdp

Rewards Points: 75

Furance Problem

Hi Charlene -

Yes, those things happen to the "best" of homeowners (smile). The positive aspect of your unforseen outlay of money is that you now have a new and reliable furnace with MUCH more efficiancy than the old furnace. Surprisingly, you may re-coup your replacement expense via lower energy costs in a short amount of time.

Good luck.
powrus is offline   Reply With Quote