Fungus In The House - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 319

fungus in the house

I've demoed and replaced so much of the house, but still the roof beams have the fungus in it. Structurally it is fine, but i think the sofit vents cause a problem. Every time it rains i get a head ache and sinus problems. I guess the damp air is getting up into the beams. There are bits like the corner post that still are old but everything else is replaces. I wonder if i have become overly sensitive living in the house? Has anyone else had this problem. I run the dehumidifier seems to help. The gable exterior walls i think have the fungus too so when i sleep in the loft i get the same allergies problems. You can't smell much but when it rains or really humid you can notice some vague smell. I wonder if i will have a hard time selling the house. I guess that is the only option.

Advertisement

begal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,408

How's the roof vented on the topside?

Bleach and water in a deck sprayer will kill anything up there.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,650

The damp is probably coming from the rainscreen wall---- #7; Vapor barrier problems

Gary
Old 08-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

That's all been taken out. It was full of mold. All the walls have been replaced now. It was a crazy big job. The dry rot fungus is in the what ever wood is left in the house, which is not much. No way to kill it. I think i have just become hyper sensitive to it.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #5

Great if you did all that and follow your earlier statement; "I'm thinking take the siding off and the 1" foam and put a new plywood exterior wall with 1" gap which would lead to the sofit vents conveniently."

Just so the wall doesn't lead to the soffit, has to be blocked off.

Gary
PS- " No way to kill it."-----;
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrobiu...5001/100654369

http://www.concrobium.com/

Last edited by Gary in WA; 08-09-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #6

Nope, it is the roof beams that smell and the gable boards outside. btw, that product is tsp with water, you can make it yourself for much less the cost. There is no way to remove fungus from the inside of wood. I am sure many older renovated houses have this same problem, it is just that people don't notice them or not sensitive to them. Maybe they think they have seasonal allergies but it is really the house. The house is bearable now but i still notice it. Nothing to do but sell up.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

If that is the case (no wall venting to attic), more attic ventilation would help. At least help dry it out. Did you use fan-forced air to dry them? Remove any insulation close to them-- blocking air currents that will promote drying, air seal the attic to keep the smell in there and from conditioned rooms below. This will help with your heating bill also.
Hope the potential buyers don't read this paper trail of your woes... full disclosure may be required anyway.

Gary
PS, sorry I wasn't around when the ball got dropped here, I gave you a late answer; Vapor barrier problems

Advertisement

Last edited by Gary in WA; 08-11-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote