Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Gimme a break..selfish realtor

When you go to work are you there on a volunteer basis.? So all your time and effort so far ...free . Your expenses...free.

If someone asked you to install a new floor and you began the process. Taken the time to do the preliminary research, driven over there on your gas ( don't forget to pay the sitter and wear your best bus. cloths) you start ripping up the old floor and the customer changes her mind. Now she wants that other floor but cannot afford.

What a selfish flooring installer you must be for not absorbing the cost for her.


A realtor is not a flooring contractor just as a flooring contractor is not a realtor. Two different jobs.

I take it your point is that a realtor may put in a lot of time and not get a commision. What about when the first home a realtor shows a buyer the buyer makes offer and it is accepted for say $700,000. Thats $37,000 commission for both brokers. Buyer's realtor broker gets half so $18,500 and the actual realtor may get 80% of the $18,500 which is $14,800.

Not too bad for one showing.

So should I feel sorry if my realtor did not get a commision on a home for sale by owner? Not really. Im in the market to buy a house not to have the realtor get a commision.

Note that the sign in front of a home for sale typically says, "FOR SALE",

I've never seen one that says, "BUY SO REALTOR GETS COMMISSION"


Last edited by hammerlane; 08-09-2012 at 09:21 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Fsbo


If your scenario was actually the way it worked we'd all be stinking rich wouldn't we.

In fact if you think you can make almost $20,000 per hour what the heck is stopping you from getting your license.

Last edited by creeper; 08-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
In fact if you think you can make almost $20,000 per hour what the heck is stopping you from getting your liscense.
I dont want to work for nothing sometimes which is the case for realtors. You have to take the good with the bad.

If you do not like the rules of the game then get another job.

Note that the sign in front of a home for sale typically says, "FOR SALE",

I've never seen one that says, "BUY SO REALTOR GETS COMMISSION"

Last edited by hammerlane; 08-09-2012 at 10:35 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
I dont want to work for nothing sometimes which is the case for realtors. You have to take the good with the bad.

If you do not like the rules of the game then get another job.

Note that the sign in front of a home for sale typically says, "FOR SALE",

I've never seen one that says, "BUY SO REALTOR GETS COMMISSION"
Wow ! You don't get to turn this around on me. I'm not that easily manipulated. Its not me doing the complaining and you need to get your misconception straightened out.

It would be extremely rare indeed for a sale to occur on the first showing, especially in the price bracket you outlined in your example.

Secondly, I will compare it to other trades because the basic's of self employment is the same everywhere.

By your own logic I've never seen a contractor ( which is what realtors are)
hang out a sign that says
"DO YOUR RENO'S SO INSTALLER GETS PAID"

Unless and until you've been a Realtor and actually know what it is about your vote holds little value to me.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Fsbo


Now if you'll excuse me I have to go put a key in the door and then take my large cheque to the bank
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #36
Member
 
BabsHoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seneca, MO
Posts: 165
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Fsbo


Um, guys, I said I understood and was willing to negotiate a commission for a buyer's realtor.
Not sure why we're fighting.

Can't we all just get along? :D
BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsHoney View Post
Um, guys, I said I understood and was willing to negotiate a commission for a buyer's realtor.
Not sure why we're fighting.

Can't we all just get along? :D
Just do not let a buyer's realtor prevent a potential buyer from purchasing your home just because the realtor wants 3% or 3.5% and will not budge.

Last edited by hammerlane; 08-09-2012 at 11:27 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #38
Member
 
BabsHoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seneca, MO
Posts: 165
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane

Just do not let a buyer's realtor prevent a potential buyer from purchasing your home just because you will not agree to 3% or 3.5%
3-3.5% is 14-17k.

If their offer was good my mom would take it. If the offer is low she'll pass it up.

But just asking out of curiosity, what do you mean by not letting the realtor prevent the sale? Do you mean by not accepting their terms?
I guess it's just hard for me to imagine putting the brakes on a home their client wanted for another percentage point. Well, I guess I can imagine it but it does seem kind of unprofessional.
BabsHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
By your own logic I've never seen a contractor hang out a sign that says
"DO YOUR RENO'S SO INSTALLER GETS PAID"
You are correct nor do people hang out signs asking to have renovations done. Hello!!! Mcfly!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Unless and until you've been a Realtor and actually know what it is about your vote holds little value to me.
I believe my figures speak as to some knowledge of how realtors commisions are calculated by their broker. I may of had an ex at one point who may have been a realtor.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,558
Rewards Points: 2,024
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsHoney View Post
3-3.5% is 14-17k.

But just asking out of curiosity, what do you mean by not letting the realtor prevent the sale? Do you mean by not accepting their terms?
.
Technically the realtor can't stop a potential buyer from making an offer but the realtor could say things to the buyer to "guide" them away from making an offer. Use your imagination to understand the meaining of "guide".
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #41
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,861
Rewards Points: 2,516
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Fsbo


Just don't let the realtor lock into a 90 day contract in order to make an offer. Make it a one time offer /commission for the one offer they are bringing.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
Just do not let a buyer's realtor prevent a potential buyer from purchasing your home just because the realtor wants 3% or 3.5% and will not budge.
I believe the negotiation process of the co-operating Realtor was addressed in post 6. We discussed how she should start low

Keep in mind that it is better to pay only one side of a commission and have it sold then to have to carry the property for while longer because you didn't want to co-operate.

Whether Hammer likes it not your biggest buyer pool comes from the mls. Which is a resource created by, owned by, and paid for by Realtors.

Last edited by creeper; 08-09-2012 at 04:27 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (08-09-2012), hammerlane (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsHoney View Post
3-3.5% is 14-17k.

If their offer was good my mom would take it. If the offer is low she'll pass it up.

But just asking out of curiosity, what do you mean by not letting the realtor prevent the sale? Do you mean by not accepting their terms?
I guess it's just hard for me to imagine putting the brakes on a home their client wanted for another percentage point. Well, I guess I can imagine it but it does seem kind of unprofessional.
Here's the thing. If a buyer is under contract and then chooses to buy a fsbo then that buyer is still obligated by law to pay the commission to the realtor.
As a buyer if I had to choose between a number of similar homes that were all competatively priced, Id pick the one where the seller would pay the commission and not the buyer.

Even if the buyer is not under contract if they have a sense of loyalty and fairness for the time and effort already put forth by the realtor, chances are they will not move forward on a sale that eliminates the realtor and leaves the buyer on their own to handle the legalities of the sale.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #44
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post



I believe my figures speak as to some knowledge of how realtors commisions are calculated by their broker. I may of had an ex at one point who may have been a realtor.
The figures you speak of are the calculations negotiated between your ex and her broker. Please take note of the word NEGOTIATED.

Again, by your logic, if my ex were a lawyer I wouldn't think of myself as qualified to dispense legal advice just by proximity
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Fsbo


Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Just don't let the realtor lock into a 90 day contract in order to make an offer. Make it a one time offer /commission for the one offer they are bringing.
Finally. ..
This is good advice


Last edited by creeper; 08-09-2012 at 04:28 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
BabsHoney (08-09-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.