Frozen Condensate Under House. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

Frozen condensate under house.

It's 10 degrees outside. I looked in the crawl space under my house & noticed ice on the boards that sit on top off my block foundation. I thought maybe I had a pipe leaking but maybe it's just frozen condensate. Is it common for frozen condensate to form on these boards inside a crawl space in cold weather? I'm new to living where it gets this cold. Thanks

Advertisement

12wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is the condition constant around the perimeter of the house or is it localized to spaces here and there? If it's localized you might have warm air leaking out of the house. These areas should be sealed.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #3

It is mostly on the northeast corner of house although it is frosty all the way around, it is icy in this corner. The dryer vent is close to here. It desends through the floor about 12' from the east wall and 10' from the north wall, exiting out the east wall. It has no visible leaks, and all the joints are taped. I thought this may be the source off the moisture. I believe there would be more water if it was a broken pipe. I have PEX piping under my house.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Start by insulating the dryer vent pipe. foam seal where it enters and exits the crawl space. The heat from the dryer pipe is like a magnet. It will attract the moisture, or at least make it visible. Is the crawl space vented? that might help remove the moist air.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the imput.