Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Share |

Front porch drainage

Help! Need ideas

Front porch is a epic fail in drainage. Attached are photos. The water isn't going out to road.... It's seeping into ground into basement.
Driveway is asphalt on top of I think cement.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Front porch drainage-image-424387715.jpg   Front porch drainage-image-2235161020.jpg   Front porch drainage-image-2024721528.jpg  

jstar571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #2

Front porch drainage

For one thing your down spout does not even run to the ground with another long piece at the bottom leading out to the street.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Front porch drainage

I can't believe you are letting the water drain right there. Get an extension that reaches the first step without being a trip hazard.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #4

Front porch drainage

I think it was done that way due to lack of room available for a extra piece. I plan on getting a piece that can add on to it as a temporary fix unless it works..then unsure..
Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #5

Front porch drainage

Not sure why it would not "fit". Two elbows and another section of down spout is all it would take.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #6

Front porch drainage

I'm concerned that once its in that ledge it will fall off. Not sure how I would secure it to the wall
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
DIY staff

Front porch drainage

Is the brick work newer than the porch? Is water pooling between the porch deck and brick work---then slowly seeping through the brick work?

Looks like you may need to remove one brick at the bottom to add some drainage----
Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

Front porch drainage

All the water from entire roof served by that down spout is not seeping but pouring straight into basement. how long has it been like that? You gotta get it away from there now.
"Not sure how I would secure it to the wall" With down spout hanging straps and masonry fasteners. You can get a small package of Tapcon screws with bit at Home depot. Just be sure not to over tighten them. Also fasten all pieces of drain to each other sheet metal screws. Each piece goes inside next piece down stream. and seal each joint, especially on the more horizontal piece.
A cheaper, temporary procedure would be with flexible plastic extensions. Key words; cheap thin plastic and temporary. Plastic is not gonna hold uop long in that exposed place. There should be some around six fet long at Home Depot. Or Take that elbow off. work the end of flex up over down spout, seal and screw it on. Run it down wall to drive and bend towards street, seal and screw next one on, and keep going till you're as close to street as you can, looks like the steps the limit. Luckily it looks theres at least a small drop from asphalt there. brace the flex out of way against wall, bricks or what have you. Or run it along the ledge up off ground then on down.
"The water isn't going out to road." How is the water flow of rain falling directly on drive or flowing onto it from places other than that down spout. Does it make it to road without running right along side of house? Doon't go dumping any asphalt or anything along there trying to seal out water. If it comes to regrading drive really check out basement for any damage that needs repairing and make them first. You don't want to have to rip out new drive work to repair anything down there. Really examine the basement on that side I don't think I like the way that asphalt was done along there.
Don't know how long the ledge and porch are, looks like when you do real downspout, which could be now all you need is one piece of spout or two. two A and two B elbows, few haanger straps, anchors , sheet metal screws and gutter sealant.
Do something quick before major basement and structural damage occurs and let us know how its going.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote