Friends In ... Places. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Friends in ... places.

I have a friend who works in the administrative level of a company that makes all kinds of popular screws and fasteners. He sent me a "gift box" when I bought my house. Last week, I sent him an email and asked him if he could get me any more tap-cons, this is what showed up.

• 3: 3/16" x 2-3/4" Tapcon, qty 75
  • 2: 3/16" x 1-3/4" Tapcon, qty 12
  • 4: Carbide drill bits 5/32" x 4-1/2"
  • 2: Carbide drill bits 5/32" x 5-1/2"
  • Teks #8 x3/4"
  • Multi-Mate #6x1-1/2"
  • Multi-Mate #8x2-1/2"
  • EZ Anchor 100lbs toggle lock
  • EZ Anchor 75lbs twist-n-lock
  • EZ Anchor 50lbs twist-n-lock
  • EZ Anchor 50lbs stud solver
  • HardiBacker #10x1-5/8"
  • Rock On #9x1-5/8"
  • Rocket #6x 1-5/8"
  • Buildex Picture Hangers
  • Buildex Nuts&bolts 1/4"x1/2"

Apparently, they have a whole room full of this stuff, and they can't find enough friends of friends to even give the stuff away. They've given habitat all that they will take. Now, tens of thousands of dollars go to the dumpster each year.

It sucks, but my guess is they can't legally resell it. Most of the things I receive are in damaged packaging, so I'm guessing insurance on the freight-carriers or stores already "paid" for it. Selling it again would be some type of fraud.

I wonder how many other manufacturers go through the same thing?
Attached Thumbnails
Friends in ... places.-imag0282-small-.jpg   Friends in ... places.-imag0283-small-.jpg  

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Friends in ... places.

Car dealers have the same problem. Every year thousands of Bentleys, Maseratis and Lambourgini's end up abandoned in landfills all over the country.
When will the madness end?
Ron
PS This forum has what, 100,000 members? Get the names from Nathan and send them each a box.
I'll work on the cars.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ron6519; 01-20-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-20-2011), kwikfishron (01-20-2011), VIPlumber (01-20-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Friends in ... places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
It sucks, but my guess is they can't legally resell it. Most of the things I receive are in damaged packaging, so I'm guessing insurance on the freight-carriers or stores already "paid" for it. Selling it again would be some type of fraud.
my guess is they can resell it, but it simply isn't cost effective to repackage these small lots. These days a lot of companies have their products packaged in china, so it's not like the old days when someone could walk out to the factory, and dump these into a big bulk bin on the packaging line
Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Friends in ... places.

There are several reasons why a company won't resell an item.

The single biggest one is liability. Specific to my experience, electrical and electrical/mechanical items.

It does not matter if Mr. Customer bought it from a DIY store, took it home and realized they didn't have the talent to assemble the item and returned it or they pilfered something from the box and then returned it. Either way, if it ends up back in the hands of the manufacturer, they scrap it.

I've worked for two major companies that would send millions of dollars worth of totally functional, as-new items to the landfill every year.

But don't feel sorry for the manufacturers, we all just pay a higher price for what we buy because of it.

Buy the way, all this started right around the time they let the lawyers start advertising on TV.