French Drains - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

french drains

Hi I was wondering if someone would be able to help me with a question about French drains. I recently had french drains installed around our pool area.I was supposed to put pea gravel around it but I noticed that the water was not going into the ground so it looks like a have a mote around my pool. Is it supposed to do that or are the drains supposed to suck the water down and bring it out to the street? We never had a problem with water just sitting around and now we do. Can somebody help me out with this problem? Thank you.

Advertisement

JoannaB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

french drains

It won't "suck" the water down. It is strictly gravity. With a french drain the water should work its way down into a perforated drain or pipe and discharge or dump out to an acceptable (lower) area. Sometimes it is out to a visible lower slope. Sometimes into "dry well" or something similar that will hold the water until it can be absorbed into the ground.
Do you know where the water is supposed to discharge?

A pic or two might help.

Advertisement

Last edited by Blondesense; 09-25-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

french drains

It sounds like an installation that is supposed to collect water and and then discharge it local a little deeper. That is not the common use of a french drain.

One classic method around water sources is to collect the water with a gutter system, run it away with a solid pvc pipe and then spread the discharge out over a larger area further away using a perforated french drain to spread out the discharge (opposite way they were originally used for collection).

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 09-26-2013 at 11:10 AM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #4

french drains

One picture shows our gutter going down to a pvc pipe which then attaches to our french drains. The other photo shows our problem The water is supposed to get discharged through two pop -ups that are on both sides of the house. This is not happening and we are now blessed with a mote. I hope with these photos it allows you to see our problem. Thank you again for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
french drains-20130925_160819.jpg   french drains-20130925_160802.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

french drains

I don't know about where you live, but at my house, things like French drains can, over time, become clogged with sediment. Is the pea gravel still visible or has mud covered it all up?
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #6

french drains

I have not laid the pea gravel down yet since I noticed the drains are not functioning correctly. Or are they? The water does seem to disappear after awhile but as soon as it rains again even if it's a little rain it becomes a mote again. Just frustrated never had this problem before without these drains.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

french drains

Quote:
I have not laid the pea gravel down yet
In that case, I would conclude that there is not adequate slope to the discharge. My experience is that these things can carry enough water away that they would avoid this problem.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #8

french drains

The only function of the pea gravel is to filter out the sediment before it reaches the drain pipe so it that doesn't accumulate and bridge over which, will lessen the capacity over time and eventually clog your drain. The only time you should have standing water in your drain is if you have a torrential rain and even then it should be only for a very short time. I would say there are several possible causes for the problem you have including but not necessarily limited to insufficient difference in grade to facilitate drainage, an under sized drain pipe, or a clogged drain pipe. Do you know where the drain is supposed to dump? If the French drain was installed recently or in the past few months there should be evidence of disturbed soil that would be a good indicator of the route that the drain pipe takes to where the water that is collected in the drain dumps out (the area where the drain is supposed to dump should also be at a lower elevation than where the actual French drain is too).

Last edited by Keegans; 10-14-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Keegans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

french drains

I would have whoever installed it come back and fix it.

Advertisement

Keegans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Keegans For This Useful Post:
mj12 (10-20-2013)