Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #1

Share |

French Drain or Trench Drain

Just bought a house and got a question for you guys!

It Rained this past weekend and my garage got a good amount of water in it, it looks like it all came through the main 16" foot door. the driveway has a slight incline toward the opening of the door. I was thinking about putting a drain in, but im not sure what kind to use. What is the difference between and french drain and a trench drain? any pros or cons over the other? The ones ive seen are about 4 inches wide and about 8 inches deep, but I guess it just depends on what you need.

So I guess my question is what would recommend to stop water before it gets past/under my garage door.

Thanks in advance!

mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If you want to intercept the water from the slab, you should use a trench drain. A french drain is for collecting water from below the surface. Once you collect it in a trench drain you will have to drain it by gravity (probably in a solid 4" pvc pipe) to an appropriate area. The cheaper, flexible pipe has grooves and possible bellie that can collect and plug the pipe if there is debris (sand silt, etc.) from the car droppings and driveway.

A costly alternative is to tear out a section of the concrete and replace it with concrete that drains to the side and then deal with it later.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

If your going thru the trouble of sawing the concrete to install a drain do yourself a favor and form your own. The 4' plastic one you buy at the home stores are a pain to clean out because they are rounded at the bottom. Rent a concrete saw and carefully measure and saw out the concrete. Keep the whole trench at least 12" wide and you will have to form up a 1" ledge for bar grating to sit on top on each side. Then figure for a slope in the bottom toward a 3" or 4" PVC drain. keep the bottom flat so you can clean out and sand or debris with a flat shovel. You will need to saw a narrow path to get your drain line in and knock a hole in your block to get it outside. Then you can bury a sump basket outside with a bunch of holes in the bottom. Mine is tied in to my gutter downspouts in perforated drain tile in the yard.

The first pic shows the grate at the shallow end of my drain removed. Here it is about 4" deep. My drain is 14' long and about 10" deep where the outlet is. For that I have a 3" PVC come up from the bottom of the trench floor, but don't cut it off flush with the concrete bottom. Leave it stand up maybe an inch or so. That way the silt won't go down the drain.
We live on a gravel road and my garage has in-floor heat and hot/cold water, so I am washing cars even in the winter. I just squeegy all the water, sand, salt and even sweep the floor right into the drain (just don't intentally sweep it in over the outlet). Maybe 2x a year I use the wheelbarrow, flat 8" shovel and clean it out.

The second pic was showing the detail of the ledge that the bar grating sets on.
Attached Thumbnails
French Drain or Trench Drain-072.1.jpg   French Drain or Trench Drain-073.1.jpg  
crankcase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crankcase For This Useful Post:
47_47 (09-29-2010), mikeylikesit580 (09-29-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #4

Thank, My driveway is actually gravel sloping down to the driveway, so it might be easier than I think to dig a trench.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #5

Oh my mistake your on the outside of the garage. So you could do the same thing in an apron just before the garage door. Heck you could even lay in a piece of perforated drain tile with a sock on it.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
Oh my mistake your on the outside of the garage. So you could do the same thing in an apron just before the garage door. Heck you could even lay in a piece of perforated drain tile with a sock on it.
So basically I just need to dig a trench that has a bit of an incline on it to make the water go somewere. What should I line the trench with?

thanks for all your help crank case.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #7

They sell a 3 or 4" diameter PVC pipe that has holes along the bottom in pairs. I don't know what they are called. You would dig your trench, line the bottom with a shallow layer of stone, place that pipe in with the pair of holes along the bottom so they don't fill with stones and then back fill around that with more stone.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

If you use perforated pvc, it could easily be crushed unless it has the right cover, bedding and side fill if cars will be going over it.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #9

They make perforated sewer pipe in 4" which is made for a septic drain fields, it's pretty thin walled, so you want to line the bed or bottom of the trench with pea rock then back fill with some larger stones, maybe something like 1- 1.5" river rock.