Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Framing Nailer

I'm going to pick up a framing nailer to build a large shed and some future projects. I've decided on a Hitachi full head because I see a lot of them in use around here and have read positive comments.

Now I see that Hitachi has a few models. Which do you consider the best? Also, some are max 3-1/4" and some take up to 3-1/2". Does 3-1/4" meet code most places, or is the 3-1/2" needed?

The truth is, for my limited use, a Harbor Freight would probably work, but I plan to keep this 'forever', and don't mind paying for a good tool. I will probably buy reconditioned.

Thanks...

Gary

Gary Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Framing Nailer

It doesn't matter if it meets code in most places. It matters if it meets code in your place.
Call and find out.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Woodtick

Rewards Points: 25

Framing Nailer

Ron is right. But if your only using it on your own stuff the 3 1/4" Hitachi is the way to go. I've been using one for 20 years, and I've used other brands but none of them compare in ease of use, reliability, and durability. The NR83 wont shoot the 3 1/2" nails but those are usually an engineering requirement. For general framing. Siding, and trim, or sheeting its an excellent tool. And even a rebuilt one willgive you good service.

Last edited by ccnvchris; 11-14-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: new vs reconditioned
ccnvchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Framing Nailer

I have been told, (not sure how true it is but make ALOT of sense) that reconditioned is actually BETTER than brand new and here is why. When it is brand new it runs down the line, into the box and out the door. When it is returned it is stripped down to make sure EVERYTHING is tested and works, to be sold as reconditioned. I will and do buy reconditioned when possible. JUST my $.02!
Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Framing Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman View Post
I have been told, (not sure how true it is but make ALOT of sense) that reconditioned is actually BETTER than brand new and here is why. When it is brand new it runs down the line, into the box and out the door. When it is returned it is stripped down to make sure EVERYTHING is tested and works, to be sold as reconditioned. I will and do buy reconditioned when possible. JUST my $.02!
I agree, over the years I have bought many reconditioned tools, and never had one give poorer service than anything I've bought new. The key is to know the retail purchase price of the item in your area, as the savings can range from only 10 or 20 dollars on a several hundred dollar item to more than 50% savings. Don't be scared of the tools branded as "class c", this is not about quality, just a cosmetic rating, and usually offer a substantial savings. I have bought class c tools that I had to literally study to find a few scratches on. One minor down side is that many reconditioned items will not come with owner's manuels, but with online availability of them, so what.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 11-16-2010 at 09:15 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Framing Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
One minor down side is that many reconditioned items will not come with owner's manuels, but with online availability of them, so what.
Trouble you are so right! Besides I USUALLY have lost the manual by the end of the first week! lol

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote