Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

Foundation system gone a muck

I just purchase the house across the street from where I live. I hopefully can fix it up for my daughter to live in. It was a foreclosed home. It has cracks all over the house but mostly concentrated in the center of the home are areas where the walls meet the ceiling that don't meet. These cracks are a couple inches wide. I noticed that the house had been leveled. A little research and I find that it was 20 years ago. Needless to say I don't know who leveled it. I've call the city and they researched their building permits and still came up dry. So, I'm going level this house my self. Equipped with 75 feet of clear vinyl tubing, a yard stick, graph paper and a bottle of colored water I plot the damage. Come to find out that the two sides of the house that had been leveled are up 4 inches higher than the rest of the house. Also its just the perimeter that is raised. 6 feet inward and the house drops 3 inches. This should easy - just lower the brackets on the piers. I've dug the pier areas and I can't get the bracket to drop. I suspect Its rusted between the bracket and the pier. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by redrocket; 07-30-2013 at 04:16 PM.
redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

The Pier Bracket is an 18 inch half inch thick pipe with a lift shelf and ears welded to it. The ears have threaded 3/4 inch rods going upward to the top of the pier where it is bolted to a cap the spans across the top of the peir. Tightening of loosing the bolts should raise or lower the foundation. There appears to be a second sleave that the lift bracket slides on. The sleeve extends downward from about 2 inches below the peir top to into the ground. I don't know how deep.

I don't know if the bracket lift is suppose to slide on this sleeve or the sleeve slide on the pier. Either way - it won't budge. I've been spraying wd40 on it for a week. Using a heavy blunt end of an axe and even took the weight off the bracket and tried lifting it from underneath. Any help would be appreciated. Do you cut these thing off and start over?
Thanks

Last edited by redrocket; 07-30-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #3

Need to post a picture.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Maybe something like Liquid Wrench. WD-40 is not a lubricant nor a rust buster.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Red..... Are these helical piers on a concrete perimeter foundation.... sounds like it... but before going further.... can you confirm.... and if so, what is the condition of the your footers/perimeter stem wall.????

Best
Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the response. I actually used the WD40 Rust Release Penetrate spray not the regular WD 40. But I had forget about liquid wrench. I'll get some of that too. Anybody know for sure which piece is suppose to move?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Foundation system gone a muck-peir.jpg  

Last edited by redrocket; 07-30-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

Thanks MTN. They are pressed pilings (hollow tubes). The footing is sound. In fact I can see under the footing on one side of the house. Its about 3 inches off the ground. Because of the dramatic slope downward from the perimeter I'm confident that lowing the brackets will lower the foundation.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #8

*amok.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
*amok.
Here at DIY we have a manual 'spell checker'---none of that fancy computer stuff here!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Red.... Sorry... I sure have never seen that type of jack/pier.... but I've only been involved in three or four pier jacking issues.

I can't really see if there is even a plate under the foundation wall....
Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #11

get pb blaster its great ...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Remodel and New Build GC

Red.... PB Blaster is good... but it still seems to me an issue of what to turn....

On other pier/jacking issues, they have used a big hyraulic geared down wrench,..... maybe, if you can figure out what to crank on, a pipe wrench and a long "cheeter" bar.....
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #13

I'm going to soak it a few more days and try a big pipe wrench with cheater bar. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
call me E

I'd try heating the nuts some to cause them to expand.
This might break the corrosion bond

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum. Watch out for spell check
Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #15

Its not the nuts that are the problem. They come right off. The bracket itself won't move. But thanks.