DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   General DIY Discussions (
-   -   found some mold, I think (

lendosky 12-20-2013 08:48 AM

found some mold, I think
2 Attachment(s)
I'm demoing a 1980s house in MN and I pulled up the carpet and baseboard etc. Lo and behold I found some green spores/mold looking stuff. It's on drywall, studs and steps. I know where the water came from that caused the problem and fixed the leaky pipe. The area was super dry before I found the mold but it's there and it needs to be taken care of. I don't have the budget to hire a contractor to remediate it unless it's completely necessary. The photos show the color is light green, located in a 10 x 6 area on the drywall (easy to cut out and replace as well as the insulation--doubt that there is some present) the first three steps going up the stairs and on one stud that I can see. I can re do the framing and drywall and probably the stairs with some research but will this take care of the problem? Once the mold 'infected' area is disposed of and the source of moisture is removed, will the area need anything else such as bleach or what? Thanks ya'all

mikegp 12-20-2013 10:07 AM

Is that painted or bare paper on the drywall? Looks like it's just on the surface, hard to tell from the pics. Were the materials completely saturated?

lendosky 12-20-2013 11:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
In the photos above, the area is unpainted drywall and it looks as if it is just the surface. I got to cutting out some drywall in the area adjacent to the stairs shown and the door jamb within 3' from the stairs and I found what looks like black mold now. Take a look at these pictures please. I am thinking of cutting at least 12" above any visible exterior mold and replacing everything in that area. Good idea? Bad idea? I have a air filter running and negative pressure right now.

lendosky 12-20-2013 11:28 AM

Also, it's been almost a year since someone else lived in this home. It seems that the leak happened over last winter when one of the nearby pipes popped at an elbow. That said, when I turned on the water meter I heard gushing above this area and the water immediately ran to the affected area due to slope. I, of course, fixed everything else--no more leaks. New pipe under the vanity, vanity thrown out. This is freaking me out big time. Thanks for your help.

Maintenance 6 12-20-2013 01:06 PM

You should probably read this thread about mold. No need to freak out. It's not toxic nuclear waste. It's a relatively small infestation that you can easily handle. Read and follow the steps in the thread and you will be fine.

lendosky 12-20-2013 01:29 PM

I've already read that post and thought it was useful information. Thanks for helping me reduce my blood pressure by stating it's something I can totally handle myself. It is a small area, not too high, I can rip out, clean, repair and call it.


rusty baker 12-20-2013 01:45 PM

lendosky 12-20-2013 04:58 PM

I know the mold is media sensation but when it comes to my wife's health I don't want to take any chances. I read online at some of the guidelines and all the stuff on here and it seems that I should cut it all out and redo it just to be safe. Since there is no more moisture it would be pretty hard for new mold to grow. When I get to the stair removal etc I will post some pics.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1