Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Share |

Foray to the green side- LED lamps

I have resisted replacing my incandescent lamps with a more efficient (greener) replacement for some time. I have tried some CFLs but have not been happy with either the slow start or the color rendering. LED's have been just too pricey for my blood. I was at Home Depot the other day and looked at their Ecosmart LEDs. A Consumer Reports article recently rated the Ecosmart brand very good. I bought 4 40 watt replacement LED lamps for about $10 each.
Specs:

40 watt equivalent
429 Lumens
9 Watts
Dimmable
50,000 hours

I installed them in the fan kit in my home office. I replaced the 4 40 watt incandescent lamps I was using. Have to say I am impressed. The amount of light is fantastic, appears to be greater than the 4 lamps I replaced. My only (slightly negative) observation is that the light seems a little more stark(whiter) than the incandescent lamps. These 4 lamps are using 36 watts compared to the 160 watts I was using.

I will be buying a few more of these lamps for some of the fixtures that I use heavily. More general replacement will have to wait until the price drops. I also want to try one in my garage door opener to see how they hold up to vibration. My garage door is open most of the time and with the pets coming and going, that light is on all the time.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
JOATMON

Thanks for the feedback......

I saw some of those at HD....was tempted.....might be time to take the plunge.

I have a crap load of CFL's around the house...considering that I have only had 2 CFL's fail in 10 years.....it might be awhile before I need to replace any lamps....however....we are in the middle of a 2-story addition and will be adding a lot of lights...

The only thing that sucks is that they don't offer those bulbs at the price with GU24 bases. Here in California we have this thing called Title 24. A certain amount of my light has to be high effeciency. Now, my 'get out of jail' card is that using a dimmer or occupancy sensor opens up options. If those bulbs are in fact dimmible.....I can use them if they have the Edison base.

I need to go get a couple and try them out.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Don't get me going on my overreaching government rant

Definitely dimmable, I have a remote on that fan and tested dimming.