Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flush Interior Doors

It may be just me but I think flush interior doors are much more modern and trendy than their 6-panel or craftsman style counterparts, especially when coupled with sleek hardware.

Considering this I expected it much easier to locate these, however all I seem to find are cheap quality hollow core doors. Are high quality flush doors really not in demand?

I haven't checked what my special order options are yet, it feels like I would be tripling my costs for no reason.

Anyone know a good place to look? I'm OK with veneer and an engineered core since they'll all be painted black anyway.

dcase84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,948

Flush Interior Doors

Go to a millwork supplier---you will find a lot of options---they are popular in commercial buildings---and those contractors don't shop at the big box stores----

Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,114

Flush Interior Doors

go through a lumber yard that can order you in solid doors.. dont go near big box stores.. their doors are junk... the last time i hung a hollow door from a big box was a nightmare... not only did it warp as soon as the paint hit it. but it had to be cut down because of floor clearance issues.. the bottom stile was only 3/4" thick.. they used to atleast put 1 1/4" in.. when i filled it back in i put in 1 1/2" stock to help stiffen it up
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Flush Interior Doors

I'll swing by the lumber yard and check to see what they have. Have it beat into my brain that the big box stores are the best place to go.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flush Interior Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcase84 View Post
I'll swing by the lumber yard and check to see what they have. Have it beat into my brain that the big box stores are the best place to go.
Get over it! The independents deserve your support as they can deliver quality and variety box stores cannot.

When you say flush, do you mean you want a door flush with the wall or did you just mean you wanted a door without panels? How will you frame it.

If you want to have some fun thinking outside the box, think of flat doors with no hinges. Nice veneer doors or even frosted glass on barn door rollers for instance can look really sharp and be as sleek or as trimmed out as you want them. Check building and fire codes though.

Don't get too carried away if taking this door approach with a period or conventional sort of home. It may look out of place and make it difficult to sell.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,152

Flush Interior Doors

Only places I've seen flat panel doors used is in mobile homes and lower end track homes.
Main reason is there less expencive to build and buy.
There were really In back in the 70's.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (11-08-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #7

Flush Interior Doors

I do agree most flat panel doors you see are most often in mobile homes or, low end manufactured homes. I wasn't referring to those type doors, but more along the lines of what sdsester posted pictures of.

I stopped at the local lumber yard, and even browsed suppliers online and I'm still unable to locate what I ultimately want. Since I have nice solid 6-panel doors now I've decided I'm just going to modify what I have.

I have access to the equipment I need so my plan is to insert two long vertical strips of brushed stainless steel where the panels are now. Some simple modifications to the door and we'll be good to go.

Basically like the picture attached, but painted black. I'll post pictures once complete in case anyone is interested.

Flush Interior Doors-custom6panelroak.jpg