Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Floor and wall???

This is my master bedroom floor and walls. It looks like the walls all have to be re-done. Gutting and then putting up new drywall. Now what about those floor boards? Should I rip them up and put new ones in? I think their is good wonder under it. From what I can see from downstairs. But I'm not 100% positive. i'm going to put in new carpets. I'm guessing I can't put them over "what looks like to be damaged floor boards."
Attached Thumbnails
Floor and wall???-masterbedroom-floor.jpg   Floor and wall???-masterbedroom-floor2.jpg   Floor and wall???-masterbedroom-floor3.jpg   Floor and wall???-masterbedroom-wall.jpg   Floor and wall???-masterbedroom-wall2.jpg  

Floor and wall???-masterbedroom-wall3.jpg  

Tdoggy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Eibwen

Floor and wall???

That electrical outlet needs a serious upgrade too!

Are those pet stains on the floor or signs of a previous water leak?

If your going to carpet and the floors are sound with no rot it may be o.k.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #3

Floor and wall???

Well since the roof has a few leaks I believe it is water damage. I'm not sure what the wood underneath those damaged floor boards looks like. Hoping its ok. And not rotted. Going to take a peak soon hopefully.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Eibwen

Floor and wall???

Thats what I would do if the roof is fixed...

Poke around a few spots and see what lurks underneath. Check for creaks and deflections. May just need some spot replacements.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
ICF Construction

Floor and wall???

Judging by the pictures, if you had a roof leak and that masonite only has minimal staining I lay $ 20.00 the subfloor is fine.

The plaster walls don't look damaged too bad in the pictures either, maybe look into some wall coatings, save the mess of removal and reinstallation, provided electrician is willing to fish in wires.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #6

Wink

Floor and wall???

Those are masonite walls. I was wondering what kind they were. Is that mold on them though? Or just dirt? I think it might be mold.

Their is no insulation behind them :-(
Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
ICF Construction

Floor and wall???

I'm not there to see it, I'm looking at your pictures and that doesn't look like mold to me from where I'm sitting, I could be wrong, but that looks like the image of the slats behind the plaster bleeding through.

You walls are not masonite, the wood on the floor looks like masonite, the walls look like plaster.

No insulation? Okay, pull the walls down, insulate and then drywall
Old 01-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
ICF Construction

Floor and wall???

Or there was a radiator heater there and the heat caused the stain on the wall
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #9

Wink

Floor and wall???

Yeah I was afraid you were going to say to rip them down. I got to agree though. They are very old and your right probably plaster. No insulation is a killer. I was wondering why it was so cold up there. Now I know why. Insulation and drywall I will.

I got to take down some more paneling and see if more walls are stained like that. It could be from an old radiator heater I suppose. A few families owned the house before us. So I'm not sure. But it does get very cold where we live. And especially upstairs. So I don't doubt they had one up there.

Here are some pictures of the mold on the ceiling in that room. I was thinking it spread to the walls. But maybe not.
Attached Thumbnails
Floor and wall???-masterbedroom-drop-down-ceiling.jpg   Floor and wall???-masterbedroomceiling.jpg   Floor and wall???-masterbedroomceiling2.jpg   Floor and wall???-hpim0715.jpg   Floor and wall???-hpim0716.jpg