Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #1

Share |

floor joist rotted

Water leak in bathroom rotted approx 18" of 12' 2x10 joist. Floor area above joist is adjacent to tub but not under, and supports foot traffic only. I was planning to sister 2 5-6ft 2x10s to either side of the damaged member and secure with lag bolts. In addition a water pipe runs thru joist so I will need to notch both new members at approx 18" in. Suggestions or advice much appreciated Thanx

commanderccody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Mod / ArchiBuilder

floor joist rotted

I have no problems with that.

Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #3

floor joist rotted

Quote:
In addition a water pipe runs thru joist so I will need to notch both new members at approx 18" in.
Hpw close to the weak/rotten part will the notches be?
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #4

floor joist rotted

Notches wll be 18"from support on 5ft sister joists whic will sandwich damaged joist. I have cut same back to undamaged wood and intend to treat same prior to repair. Thoughts, suggestions, precautions are all most welcome. I intend to use bolts to connect what is your advice as to numer and location. Thanx
Old 08-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #5

floor joist rotted

Remove all rot/ You could treat with timbor or boric acid/ sister with PT crown up, but try to find straight wood.

assume you are going joist to joist/ screw 3" 3 at each end then staggered 3" oc and glue L-nail. Then go have a beer and watch the game. Don't forget to cover the hole so the cat won't get out or momma fall in.

Last edited by Big Bob; 08-26-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:00 AM   #6

floor joist rotted

3" on center?? Shouldn't go anywhere. Maybe I should have gone with 3 on center on my joists in bathroom. I wnet about 12", still have about 3/4" drop in 5'. This old house only has 2x8's for joists. I'm thinking of maybe doing a morter bed under the tub support.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #7

floor joist rotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
Remove all rot/ You could treat with timbor or boric acid/ sister with PT crown up, but try to find straight wood.

assume you are going joist to joist/ screw 3" 3 at each end then staggered 3" oc and glue L-nail. Then go have a beer and watch the game. Don't forget to cover the hole so the cat won't get out or momma fall in.
Big Bob, Thanks for your advice. In reading responses to subflooring posts I note that pt wood is viewed as unacceptable by some who are of the opinion that the chemical treatment of the wood poses a health hazard when uses indoors. My usage will be limited to a few pieces of lumber but this did raise a flag. Your thoughts? Thanx, Commanderccody
Old 09-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #8

floor joist rotted

I think if they spent half the money finding cures that they spend looking for product liability issues so lawyers won't run out of people to take to court we would all live to a happy 120 years then check into the soilent green factory.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote