Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flood prevention - need ideas

Hi All,

I posted this in the Construction forum as well and then realized this might be a better place... apologize for dual posting. Admin please remove my other post if needed.

I have a drain in the laundry room in the basement which has backed up 3 times in the past year. Twice becomes of storms, once because we had roots blocking the drain in the front yard. All three times the water came out of the laundry room, through the small hall and into my family room soaking the carpet.

We are in the process of finishing the remodeling of our family room (new dry wall, new carpet) and I want to make sure I can do whatever possible to prevent future flooding in there.

I've attached some pictures of the laundry room drain and doorway and how it leads to the family room.

The idea I have is to build a small concrete wall (3-4") (is there a special name for this type of wall?) at the doorway of the laundry room and then put a bottom suction pump right next to the wall/doorway. Something similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Systems-.../dp/B000CQ6CU4

I would run the hose connected to the pump into the boiler room (in the laundry room) and drill a hole in the exterior wall for the hose to drain the water in the backyard.

My only concern is that I've been reading this utility pump and other utility pumps don't start pumping water until there is about 2 - 3 inches of standing water ... even though it says they can get the water down to 1/8" above floor level. Are there other types of pumps made specifically for what I'm trying to do that I should look at? Or does anyone know of another utility pump which will start pumping as soon as it senses any water at all?

Does this sound look a good approach? Anyone have a better idea?

** Edit: Forgot to mention in the small boiler room inside the laundry room, there is already a sump pump. The small room is framed with 2x4"s at the base above floor level - including the doorway - so when water came up through the drain, it wasnt high enough to get in the boiler room and go into the sump pit.
Thanks!
Tommy
Attached Thumbnails
Flood prevention - need ideas-laundry1.jpg   Flood prevention - need ideas-laundry2.jpg   Flood prevention - need ideas-laundry3.jpg  

tommy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Floor drain plug, available at hardware stores, etc.

It might help you out.

DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

Won't that just cause the water to come out of other drains in the house?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy83 View Post
How many floor drains do you have? I've just got one, and have had to use a plug like this on rare occasion.

It's not perfect, of course. It needs to be out of the drain regularly, but you have to be lucky enough to get it in and tightened before water backs up.
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Have you put any thought into installing a "backflow prevention valve" or "backwater valve", as they are sometimes called?

In fact, depending on the age of your home and your local codes you may already have a backflow preventer and it needs to be serviced or repaired.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Putting a backflow check valve on the main waste pipe exiting the building will do the trick.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #7

Do they need direct access to the sewer pipe in order to install a backflow preventer? My line is about 8 feet below my lawn - wondering if they would need to dig it up?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Backwater valves are usually installed in the floor near the drain and there is a access cover over the valve that is flush with the floor.

The floor needs to be broken open to gain access to the drain line, then after the valve is installed the floor is patched. All that is seen is the access cover when complete.

It's a hassle and a mess, but it's the only good way to prevent sewer back ups into your living space. Some localities have strict rules concerning the installation of these devices.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Up in the Chicago area, the homes have a vault in the front yard or back, depending on which direction the waste drain tile runs, with a back flow preventer in there. My parents had the waste drain back flow in the basement laundry, inside of a small vault that was aprx 12 x 12. After the second time their basement had a black water (raw sewage) back up, dad had the back flow replaced.

This is one solution (not affiliated with company, just did a web search) http://www.backwater-valves.com/
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy83 View Post
Yes, my office or should I say, the whole downtown area where I lived, had a flash flood, caused by too much rainfall two years ago, in which the sinks and toilets backed up and black water was flowing. Even our local tv station was not exempt from the flooding, due to they are at the top of a hill, in which everything flowed their direction to get to the treatment plant that sits just North by North East of it around two or so miles away. Everyone that has lived in this town for decades knew that the downtown area would flood during heavy rains, but those of us in our forties have never seen it as bad as it was two years ago.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #11

Hi everyone, spoke to a plumber about installing a backwater preventer and also he talked about another "overhead drain" system. Both are way too expensive...

I'm thinking about just sticking with my original cheapo idea of having a utility pump on the floor in the laundry room in addition to a 3 inch wall in the doorway.

I'm having an issue finding an auto turn-on bottom suction pump though. All of them seem to be manual turn-on. Does anyone know of one I can look into?