Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #1

Share |

fixing wallboard holes

I tried to see where the best place to ask this question but it seems there is not direct wallboard catagory so it's here.

My son moved out and took his pictures with him. Unfortunately, most of these pictures were put up with extra strenght double sided tape. When he removed the picture, the paint and paper from the board came with it.

Yes, what a mess since he had ALOT of pictures hanging.

Anyway, it would normally be easy to just spackle the spots but I noticed that if you wanted to, you could keep peeling the paper. It doesn't seem to be attached to the board. ???

Should I just cut off the stuff sticking up and spackle? Would it keep peeling in the future if I don't do something else to it?
This was a modular home.

Thanks for your help

deetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

fixing wallboard holes

Cover with Paneling. If it is actually Gypsum board, when you tape & spackle, that should hold the paper. From there, sand, primer and paint.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #3

fixing wallboard holes

You can use lightweight joint compound (not spackle) to patch the holes. Just cut back any loose paper first. Let it dry and then reapply because it will shrink a little when it dries and you'll have a bit of a dimple.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #4

fixing wallboard holes

If it wuz me,

and if most of the drywall paper was there,

I'd paint that drywall paper with white wood glue diluted with sufficient water to make it into a paintable consistancy. Paint that over the exposed brown paper. As the glue dries, it'll bond the paper together so it won't delaminate any further. Once the glue is dry, you skim coat those patches with joint compound, sand smooth, prime and paint. If sanding exposes any of the dried wood glue, fix as best you can and paint over that patch with INTERIOR ALKYD primer instead.

(If you paint over dried wood glue with a latex paint, the moisture from the paint will re-emulsify the glue, making a mess. You CAN paint over dry diluted wood glue with a latex primer or paint, you just have to be careful to apply the paint quickly and then leave it alone so as not to disturb the soft glue under the paint until it re-dries. So don't keep rolling or brushing.)

If it's a bigger patch, or most or all of the surface paper is gone,

I'd paint over those bare spots on the drywall with the diluted white glue first. Then I'd apply self adhesive fiberglass drywall joint tape in strips across each such bare spot. Apply two coats of strips of fiberglass tape; with the second coat of strips running perpendicular to the first. Ensure that the strips run onto the surrounding paper or paint by a good few inches. Now, paint over those strips of fiberglass joint tape. The diluted white glue will bond the strips together and to the gypsum or paper substrate so that the fiberglass mesh strips provide the tensile strength of the missing paper. Skim coat over that, sand smooth, prime and paint. (You can also paint with dilute wood glue after apply each coat of strips of fiberglass mesh drywall joint tape.)
Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #5

fixing wallboard holes

I really like the idea of glueing that paper down first. I could put the woodglue under the sides that stick up a little to hold it into place.
Humm... yes, I like that alot.
Thank you
Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #6

fixing wallboard holes

Just don't paint directly over the dry glue with a latex product cuz it'll re-emulsify and make a mess. Either use oil based primer, or spread the latex quickly before the glue softens, and then leave it be until it dries.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #7

fixing wallboard holes

Got it!
Thanks