Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Share |

Fixing torn veneer on cabinet

We taped some signs to our cabinet when having a party to show which can was recycling and which garbage. Great idea right? Except the tape ripped off a thin layer of the veneer/laminate. Not sure the best way to fix this eyesore. Any ideas?

Fixing torn veneer on cabinet-image-201584822.jpg

See lower right corner...

GerardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

That looks like a printed finish on particle board. It can't be patched with good results. Me? I would cut a piece of 1X4 to width, router some pretty edges on it, stain it then put a towel rack on it and mount it over the blemish.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply PoleCat- you're definitely right about the materials. I agree that a "cover up" may be more practical, but unfortunately the pic doesn't show that there are corresponding marks about 12 inches down from there. Yes I am too thorough and taped the paper at the top and bottom *d'oh*.

So I guess I could get a nice wide piece of wood mounted there to serve the same purpose as the 1x3 but it would be much more... intense.
GerardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
STAFF

Make a decorative panel to cover the entire end, maybe 1/4 inch plywood covered to look like you glass doors on the other wall cabinets.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
mj12 (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #5

If you know what brand and stain you have of your cabinets, order a FEP(finished end panel). /notch for the toekick. Glue on. Done!
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Lord of Slums

There is a guy out here that could paint over that. He has this little paint brush set and all these paints. He has gotten very busy these last few years. He paints entire kitchens and does an excellent job at it. " This guy I know" damaged one of his kitchen cabinets with a screw driver in his back pocket, the paint guy came over and matched the existing cabinets perfectly.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #7

Buy Restor A Finish by Howard. All you do is open the can and put a little on a towel and rub in. Works wonderfully; I use it on everything wood in my house and even on my fake wood kitchen cabinets. I have 3 kids who leave scratches and ring marks and it works amazingly. I bought mine at an antique store and they use it on everything there. I saw it recently on amazon.com and mine is ebony finish but there are other options. Find a finish with a little red in it. Just use soft cloth to apply and rub in, however don't get on you freshly painted walls.
woodlandpatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
custom user

There is no way to repair it apart from covering it up or artistic paint matching, which could be involved depending on faux grain, etc. If it was me I would paint all the cabinets, since the finish is so frail it will get screwed up sooner rather than later.

JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote