Fixing Severely Damage Wood Siding... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fixing Severely Damage Wood Siding...

Hello,

I have what I would consider a severely damaged portion of my wood siding. To give a bit of a back story, we just purchased our house and next to the front door steps the previous owners had a flower bed/bush which consisted of a mound of dirt that was about 2-3 feet high. This dirt was piled up against the wood siding over the concrete foundation. Thankfully, this side wall leads into the garage and not into the main portion of the house, but the damage is still done. I will include pictures below.

Yesterday, I removed the bush and the majority of the dirt down to about 6 inches below the top of the foundation line. From the top of the foundation there is a good foot to foot and a half of siding missing from it rotting away. It has gone into the wall a little as well, all the barrier is rotted away and into some of the insulation. You can see that some of the 2x4 is affected too. There is no damage on the interior side of it that we can tell anyway. Apparently the previous owners didn't know what the heck they were doing and rotted the siding away from the dirt. Normally, I would have just used a Wood Epoxy to fix the siding, but there is nothing there to fix!

I really am not even sure how to go about correcting this, or if I even can do it myself. Any input would be great!

Thanks,
Lee

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-...es/267/img1093s.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-...s/265/img1094lf.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-...es/577/img1095v.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-...s/687/img1096gx.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-...s/687/img1097yw.jpg/

Advertisement

ljschadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

You can start by removing that sheet of siding. I assume it is T1-11 type which comes 48" wide. There is probably damage on the back of the drywall. Just because you can't see it inside yet doesn't mean there is none. Some temporary support may be needed for the roof while the framing is removed/replaced. You may be best served to hire a carpenter for a day to get the majority of the difficult stuff taken care of properly. Then you could finish the trim, paint, drywall, etc.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,482

Looks like Cedar to me.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

It may indeed be cedar. I had some trouble with the pics loading, but I think you may be right. That will cost a few bucks more, if you can even find the right stuff.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
That will cost a few bucks more, if you can even find the right stuff.
Looks like 1X8 channel. Forget the box stores but any real lumber yard should be able to order it.

Usually a stock item if you live anywhere near the trees.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I'm fairly certain it is Cedar. The thing I'm worried the most about is how extensive the rot is Thanks for the replies.
ljschadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

It looks like you'll need to do some framing repair as well.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 154

I had some damage to some t11 siding that looked much less severe than yours, and ended up having to redo a corner of the house. I would plan on a much larger project than you think.

Advertisement

ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote