Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #1

Share |

Fixing a Flooding Garage

Hi All,

I was wanting to fix a spare garage which is also joined with a bedroom, which I'm about to move into. You see, when it rains hard, both the room I intend to live in, and the garage next to it, flood on one side, the side which you could call the back of the garage. Basically a big pool of water comes in and soaks the one side of the room, too, creating mildew, a big mess! I asked one of my friends about this, and he told me that to fix it, you would, basically make a frame out of wood in front of the leaky side, then pour concrete into it, let it harden, and take away the frame, then there'd be a block of concrete to keep the water out.

I know almost nothing at all about home improvement, can someone help me? For example, I have a hard time imagining how to even make the wooden frame that was mentioned to pour into. Are there any easier, or, even more important, more effective ways to do this? I'd really like it so that no water floods in at all, but also, I'm on a budget.

Thanks,

Jim

Earthworm Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #2

Fixing a Flooding Garage

The suggested solution isn't making sense to me. Let's start with where is the water coming in? Is the ground around the building sloped away from the building so that rain flows away from the building? Do gutters and downspouts discharge rain water near the building or 6 to 10 feet away. Are the garage and bedroom at grade level or below grade level?

jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Fixing a Flooding Garage

It's been said before on these forums: Picture(s) are worth a thousand words, if you can post them. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #4

Fixing a Flooding Garage

The solution to your problem depends on the reason the water is getting into the building. You need to post a series of pictures of the exterior of the buildings.
Looking at the area around this section should give you some basic understanding of the cause. Ground slope and water from gutters and leaders would be a start. In order to get the best pictures it would help if you had some understanding of the contributing factors.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

Fixing a Flooding Garage

Water seeps into my garage too when it rains a lot. The problem seems to be that after years of buildup - the ground on the outside of the foundation is slightly higher than the concrete line of the foundation. When I get time I'm going to dig it down and hopefully that'l take care of the problem.

The whole thing about the wooden frame and concrete etc. seems like a weird solution if it's possible to lower the ground outside.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote