Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Fix a cheap metal decoration without welding?

My wife bought a pair of wall decorations made out of some sort of metal rods bent into the shape of flowers, with a part welded on that held a little tin flower pot;

Nothing too heavy duty (maybe 3/16 or 1/8 rod), but she tried to bend the piece that held the flower pot and it snapped off at the weld.

These things were pretty cheap, enough that I'd just go buy a replacement, but she bought them in some little shop on some shopping trip with her mother and sister more than an hour away, so it's not much of an option.

Is there anything I can do to try and fix this, not having any welding equipment? Is there a good strong epoxy that might hold if she promises not to yank on it?

KatHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

JB weld is a darn good epoxy putty---not cheap but a good thing to have around the house for emergency repairs---Try that---

KatHelms (10-16-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,252

yeah, JB weld will do it easy. just clean it well. for better results sand any paint/coating off first.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,320

I also concure with JB weld. Don't try super glue....I really doubt it will work.

If the JB does not work....soldering it might...or if you know someone with a TIG welder....for them, it takes longer to put on the hood than weld the break.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

If the metal is smooth take a file, a dremel tool, a grinder, really anything, and notch it and mess it up the two parts of the join so they are rough as you can make them without damaging the overall look of the piece.

Then get JB Weld at any auto parts store. The good thick stuff that looks like putty sticks.

Follow the directions, but put it on thicker than you think looks good. Let it dry for a couple three days, on the fridge top if it fits as the more dry heat the better.

When it is finished, if the "weld" area is rough or unsightly, you will then be able to sand, dremel or file the area until smooth. It can then be painted if you wish.

Hope this helps.

PS: Rust-Oleum metallics are absolutely unbelievable on home fixtures and lamps. I tried some and it is like magic. Fine finishes, easy to spray, dries almost instantly.
imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imautoparts For This Useful Post:
KatHelms (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #6

Thanks - I hadn't even thought of using JB Weld outside of car applications. I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it turns out.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #7

Just to follow up on this, the JB Weld worked awesomely. Took a couple tiny files and cleaned everything off good, put on the goo and waited a day, then used the files to clean/smooth out the mess I made after it hardened.

I probably could still pop it if I wrenched on it hard enough, but I can tell it's stronger now than the original crap spot-weld that was on there.

Thanks again for the advice!

The Following User Says Thank You to KatHelms For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-06-2012)