First Timer, Gas Stove - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

First timer, gas stove

Just got a used gas stove and it did not come with the line to connect to gas line in kitchen, how do I find out what size I need and then how do I do it?

Advertisement

leiana_thomas@yahoo.cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

First timer, gas stove

You have to know what size your supply line is (generally 1/2 ", but no gaurantees), and likewise the size required at the stove, whether you need male or female connections, and the length of the flex line required. Go to your local hardware or homecenter and they can give you the correct line. If one doesn't exist, you will need to install a shut off valve on the supply line. Also be aware that your particular stove may require an in line pressure regulator, which may have remained on the old missing gas line.

No offense intended, but your question indicates a complete lack of any experience with gas connections, so I would think that the cost of an appliance service call for this would be a smart investment. Gas and electrical DIY projects do not allow for many "oops" learning experiences.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

First timer, gas stove

Look at the owner's manual. The reasont that appliances do not come with Hoses for Washers, Vent Hoses for dryers, Electrical Cords for dryers, etc is because companies found that they can make more (about a 110%+ markup) on the extras. If you have a Lowes, Home Depot, or Sears, they should of known that when you purchased it.

Otherwise, take the owner's manual into the store with you, and it tells the size of the fitting for the gas line, and make sure that you pick up some Yellow Teflon Tape for Gas.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #4
remodeling pro

First timer, gas stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Look at the owner's manual.
Read that he said he had just got a "used" stove. If the previous owner did not give him the old supply line, which was obviously attached to the stove at some point, what do you think his chances are that he was given the owners manuel?

Again, not tring to insult the poster, but if he is totally clueless to something as basic as the size of the pipe he is dealing with, I don't encourage him to mess with a gas connection. Mess up a paint job, it's reversible; mess up a plumbing boo boo, it's reversible, mess up a flooring job, it's reversible;mess up on gas connections or electrical work, unfortunately the results are often not reversible.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

First timer, gas stove

Many thanks for the info. It is true I am totally clueless as to what I am doing and was unsure as to whether or not I should do it at all. I made a stencil of the gas line, as well as the gas connection on the stove to take to the hardware store. It is a female threading on both of the connections, I may not have ever done a gas hook up, but I do know some about fittings, connections and such. Oh and by the way, I am NOT a man. But just the same fantastic advice, thank you very much and I think I will just call a pro to do it for me, I'm not trying to blow myself up
leiana_thomas@yahoo.cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

First timer, gas stove

The owner's manual is available on the manufacturer website, which if they where not given it, then it would be worth while to download. That is if it is not a stove that is a Antique.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
remodeling pro

First timer, gas stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiana_thomas@yahoo.cm View Post
Oh and by the way, I am NOT a man.
Sorry for the gender faux paux. Good idea from gregzoll to print a copy of the owners manuel from the website. This will save you a whole world of frustration in trying to figure out the controls. Some of the models with electronic touchpads will drive you crazy trying to guess the button sequences for all but the most basic operations.

Advertisement