Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Share |

First thing to do to pool?

Alright so the house i'm closing on this Friday has a pool out back. The house was a bank owned so the pool was VERY nasty...we had in conditions that the bank would clean the pool.

They did. They had a company come out and empty everything out then they refilled it from the hose.

That is where my pool sits right now. My question, do i need to "shock" the pool or anything of that sort? It's been sitting there for about 3 weeks without the pump running (pump has a leak where the conduit screws in), and it looks clean but it looks like there is some kind of film on the top of the water. If you have ever looked through real polarized glasses at water it kind of looks like that.

I don't need to drain the pool again do i? Man i hope not!

Anyways, looking for some suggestions on what i should do...i was just going to get a pool company to come out and take care of everything but with closing costs and all the other expenses i've been taking on with buying this house the cash flow is a little short, just trying to save some money here and there....

Thanks guys!
tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Tool Geek

trip, If you would have clicked on search, this is the first thing you would have found:
Pool Care Guide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery

Last edited by PaliBob; 09-22-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: wrong link
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
trip, If you would have clicked on search, this is the first thing you would have found:
Pool Care Guide

Yes i did, and the most i got out of it was to go to pool forums and to take a sample to a local pool company. I tried searching on google and kept getting information for "playing pool, shooting pool, etc"

I'm looking for someone on here who knows might know something about pools or have done this before.

Reason i ask is because my pool currently has no chemicals in it or anything. It's just full of water out of the hose.

And i know i'm going to have to buy chemicals and stuff, but id rather have help from someone on here who knows about it, and i can ask questions instead of reading a tutorial on the internet which will probably leave me with a lot of questions
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #4

If the pump is still broken then that's the first thing you do. No pump == no pool. Also, do you know that the equipment is ok? Is the filter good? Is there a filter basket? Do you have a DE or sand filter? Does it need to be backwashed? Do these questions make sense? :-)

Once you have a working pump take a water sample to a local pool place and ask them what to do. Assuming a smaller AG/IG pool (nothing silly like an Olympic pool) you'll need shock and then you'll need to adjust pH and alkalinity. There's a balance fixing one changes another, but generally, get chlorine right, then pH, then alkalinity, but it's been a while, trust the local pool guys.

Oh, and throw words like "water", "filter", "pH" or "Chemicals" into a google search and you'll get the right type of "pool"
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #5

Are you going to use the pool or close it for the "winter"?
Does it have a salt system or "reg" filter?
Sand filter or DE?

Needs to be treated or it will turn nasty again

Do a search here & on the Internet & read the articles
Go from there

You need to get the filter & pump running, 4-8 hours a day depending upon size of pool & pump
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
If the pump is still broken then that's the first thing you do. No pump == no pool. Also, do you know that the equipment is ok? Is the filter good? Is there a filter basket? Do you have a DE or sand filter? Does it need to be backwashed? Do these questions make sense? :-)

Once you have a working pump take a water sample to a local pool place and ask them what to do. Assuming a smaller AG/IG pool (nothing silly like an Olympic pool) you'll need shock and then you'll need to adjust pH and alkalinity. There's a balance fixing one changes another, but generally, get chlorine right, then pH, then alkalinity, but it's been a while, trust the local pool guys.

Oh, and throw words like "water", "filter", "pH" or "Chemicals" into a google search and you'll get the right type of "pool"

There we go, that's what i was looking for. Awesome man! Gives me a great place to start at. I'm going to find out if i can repair the pump first, if not i'll just buy another one.

Not sure what kind of filter it is, i do know that the seal on it needs to be replaced though because the pressure is constantly at 0. It looks like a newer filter compared to the pump which is ancient but i'll get all details in a couple days.

Thanks for the help!

and no...those questions made no sense to me, but i guess there's only one way to learn!

...google..
Old 09-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #7

I assumed (I know...) that you're not closing it since you live in FL. Of course, that may not be a bad idea. New home owner, lots to do, and an already messed up pool. Could simply have it closed and deal w/it in the spring when things settle down. Of course, it would be a killer to be all hot and sweaty from house work and have to look at your closed pool.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #8

Careful, pressure could also read 0 because the gauge is broken. You need a gauge so you know when to backwash (pressure builds as filter gets dirty, backwashing "cleans" the filter) and if water is running through the filter then there should be at least some pressure. Sounds like you've got several problems, pix might help. Cheapest thing to do, since there's no trial-and-error, call in someone to fix it up, and tell you what you need to do to maintain it. I'd guess Orlando is full of "pool boys". Best thing to do from a diychatroom point of view... learn what you can and ask lots of questions.

You mentioned a "leak where the condut screws in" I assume (there I go again) you mean the piping that carries the water from/to the pool, and not the electrical conduit, yes? If it's the electrical, get that looked at by someone that knows what they're doing before you do _anything_ else. Pool ownership 101... water + electrical == bad. If it's the water-carrying pipe, hey, what's the worst that happens... you get wet! :-)
Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Are you going to use the pool or close it for the "winter"?
haha there is no such thing as winter in Florida, i'll probably be in the pool on Christmas (i eventually want to have the pool solar heated--money permitting )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Does it have a salt system or "reg" filter?
Sand filter or DE?
I honestly have no idea, that is something i will have to find out!

I looked at some of your pictures for your renovations, amazing job man i'm really impressed with all the work you have put into your home. Just reassures that the possibilities are endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
You mentioned a "leak where the condut screws in" I assume (there I go again) you mean the piping that carries the water from/to the pool, and not the electrical conduit, yes? If it's the electrical, get that looked at by someone that knows what they're doing before you do _anything_ else. Pool ownership 101... water + electrical == bad. If it's the water-carrying pipe, hey, what's the worst that happens... you get wet! :-)
Yeah it's the intake valve not the electrical, yeah i was an electrician for about 2 years so i definitely know how water+electricity=bad

I'll take some pictures later on this week after i close, i should have my new Touch Pro 2 here by Friday so i'll snap some photos with my new 3.2megapixel camera phone and post them on here :D

thanks for the reply guys!

Last edited by tripflex; 09-22-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #10

I have solar heating on my pool, works pretty good even up here
Make sure you get a decent system & not a cheap system
I'm going to be upgrading my system to a better system - with automatic valves

Yeah I have friends in Kiss'me, been down many times in the past
I was down to Disney in March & we were swimming
Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #11

Having dealt with many nasty pools over the years, you really want to keep ahead of it. Your initial goal is to keep it from getting all green and super nasty again. As others have suggested you need to get the pump and filter working.

Assuming a typicaly inground pool to be maintained with clorine... I would start right away by dumping a couple packages of clorine shock in it twice a week in the interim to keep it from getting super nasty. Also get a floating clorine dispenser in the pool with some clorine tabs in it.

After all equipment is working, worry with getting the water chemistry balanced, if needed.

Last edited by vsheetz; 09-22-2009 at 06:55 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #12

Tripflex, you may/not know about pool responsibilities. I want remind others that may read your post. Pools = leading cause of death in children at homes under age of 5 in CA, AZ. and FL. 75% children in drowning are between 1 and 3 years old.
This has the requirements and helpful tips on filter, lighting, other safe things per code: http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departme...px#poolbarrier

Some safety rules:
  • Will be minimum 48 inches above grade and be located no farther than the pool perimeter, which is defined as edge of the deck around the pool.
  • The barrier must not be "climb-able" and meet the spacing requirements of FBC 424.2.17.1.1 through 424.2.17.1.7.
  • Removable barriers must be permanently attached at one end to the host structure.
  • Barrier must be 20 inches from water's edge in accessible areas and away from structures that can be used to climb over the barrier .
  • When used, access gates must be self-closing, self-latching and swing away from the pool's edge .
  • Gate release mechanism must be located minimum 54 inches above grade on the access gate .
  • The barrier shall have no opening greater than 1/2 inch within 18 inches of the latching device.
Thank you for letting me post this for others.
Be safe, Gary
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
DIY Apprentice

Ok guys closed on Friday and after moving this past weekend im finally in! I also got some pictures for you guys too...

So there's a picture of the filter, and the pump setup. I checked everything yesterday and it seems like the filter is actually holding a steady pressure, only problem i see now is the pump which has a leak coming out of the back side of the pipe that is coming down from above. I'm going to try some jbweld tonight and see if that works, otherwise i'm going to need to replace the pump because it's not getting enough pressure to actually fully function, it looks like it tries to prime and start run but doesn't actually get there.

Also, once i get off work today i'm going to go up to the pool store and talk to the guys there and see what they think i need to do to get a nice blue pool.

Of course first thing is get the pump working, but i'm gonna grab some chlorine to dump in there for now.

So...what kind of filter is it that i have? I still have no idea

Oh yeah...i took those pictures with my phone...pretty amazing. HTC Touch Pro 2 baby!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #14

The filter may need to be cleaned (most likely)
Or you may need a new filter cartridge
Old 09-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #15

When you say the "pipe coming down" are you referring to the piece of pipe between the pump and the filter? That looks like it's PVC, so I wouldn't bother "fixing" it as it would take about 30 seconds to just replace it, no?

Also, that device in the lower-left of the second picture, cylinder w/black top and metal handle on top, looks like it might be an automated chlorinater. Nice! Can you get a better shot of it? Perhaps a name plate? I had one and that makes life so much simpler, just keep it topped off w/slow dissolve tablets and you only have to deal w/chlorine when you shock it ever so often.