Which First? Paint Gutters Or Assemble Them? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

which first? Paint gutters or assemble them?

I am swapping out most of the gutter downspouts on my house, and already have all my new (white) downspouts and elbows.

I will be using a white gripper primer and then painting tan (to match stucco).

I know there's this 'caulk' type stuff (maybe not 'caulk like', but you use it for connecting the pieces, you use the caulk gun, I think it's like mastic maybe?) that I'd be using to connect my elbows/downspouts/bends. Should I connect everything and 'caulk/mastic' it first, then prime / paint? Or the prime/paint first, then assemble?

I would just assemble first, but I'm afraid that I'm going to do one the wrong length or mess up somewhere, so I'd be in a crappy spot if it was already a 1 piece unit and couldn't be altered much. On the other hand, primer/painting first, then assembling with that mastic/caulk stuff, could leave me with a less than uniform piece (if mastic dripped out, or I push a piece too far in and needs to be pulled out, it will have scraped my paint).

I'm doing this for ~7 downspouts so I just want to approach it the right way. (probably should specify in case I wasn't clear enough, this is *only* downspout work, not the actual gutter that rides my roof line.)

Advertisement

joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Paint first then assemble or assemble then take them back down and paint. You can always touch them up if you make a boo boo. When I paint exterior homes I sometimes paint the downspouts to match the house and usally lay them out on sawhorses then put them all back on when finished.

Advertisement

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #3

I've re-read your post several times and it seems you recommend both approaches. Are you just saying it doesn't matter, and either way is good, just deal with the blemishes as they arise? (sorry I just am not sure I understand your post - I get you'd have to remove them to paint them, but I have all new downspouts / elbows / etc sitting in the garage, dunno whether to start painting individual pieces and then go outside / mount, or whether to connect outside, bring back inside in 1 piece (1 downspout with several elbows connected with that mastic stuff, which I assume is necessary?), and then paint as 1 full downspout with elbows and everything.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #4

Sorry about that, a little under the weather right now. What I was trying t say was to cut and dry fit them then take them down and paint them.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #5

haha okay, awesome!

Yeah that was a main worry, the cutting. Given how flexible aluminum downspouts are, I'd be afraid I'd grip the painted piece too hard while hacksawing it and end up ruining my paint (which would be a huuuuge pita for me, as I do the recommended primer + 3 coats, so if a finished piece got ruined I'd lose it!).

BTW, when you put up downspouts, do you use those standard POS little aluminum bands? I was at home depot and that's all they had, I guess I would've imagined something a little more durable and non-generic/old school lol.

Last edited by joeyboy; 08-18-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #6

Yah that's all I have ever used.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #7

Cool, thanks!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #8

So I'm prepping the gutters (hosing/sponging the chalk/dirt off) for a primer, and look what I found hiding out in one! Took forever to get him out of it, he was so scared of me he wouldn't come out, but I needed him out to get to work, so had to use a stick/flashlight combo to get him to an end and then wiggle him out into the mulch.

(I know he looks diff in the two pics, I guess they change skin colors lol based on stress or something. The one where he's on the column's base is right after he got out and was scared to death of me, the others are 20 min later when he was just bouncing around my front stoop)
Attached Thumbnails
which first?  Paint gutters or assemble them?-froggy.jpg   which first?  Paint gutters or assemble them?-froggy2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #9

daryl - do you just fit them and install, or do you use the adhesive stuff to connect your joints? I am painting all my gutter downspouts, and some will be new pieces which I've already cut, others are already assembled and I prepped them properly for primer (cleaned and got the chalk off, etc).

The ones that were up already were just fitted, they didn't use any adhesives or anything, I could / did separate them to figure this out. I guess I don't see what the point of that mastic/glue/sealer stuff even is - the downspout pieces fit snugly enough, and as long as you orient them properly (going downward, always a male piece going into a female), I don't even see the need, but don't want to take shortcuts lol. Is that stuff typically recommended?
Old 08-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyboy View Post
daryl - do you just fit them and install, or do you use the adhesive stuff to connect your joints? I am painting all my gutter downspouts, and some will be new pieces which I've already cut, others are already assembled and I prepped them properly for primer (cleaned and got the chalk off, etc).

The ones that were up already were just fitted, they didn't use any adhesives or anything, I could / did separate them to figure this out. I guess I don't see what the point of that mastic/glue/sealer stuff even is - the downspout pieces fit snugly enough, and as long as you orient them properly (going downward, always a male piece going into a female), I don't even see the need, but don't want to take shortcuts lol. Is that stuff typically recommended?
What a cute little guy Downspouts are just tight fitted togeather with a short screw into the plastic outlet fitting coming out of the gutter
Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
What a cute little guy Downspouts are just tight fitted togeather with a short screw into the plastic outlet fitting coming out of the gutter
Haha I know! I love animals, and having just moved here from MA, I love seeing the unique stuff here. Anoles, frogs, etc (actually I found one like the one pictured, only vivid bright green and bigger, behind the vinyl siding when I was removing it in prep for stucco)

Cool, that's what they all were (well, they didn't use screws at the gutters' plastic outlets - they used something that needed to be broken to get them off, don't know what they're called, rivets maybe? But okay, just make a mechanical connection at the top, tie them to the wall twice with bands (8' height roughly), and just wedge the pieces together w/o glues. Good stuff!)

Advertisement