Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

First attempt at glazing windows

I have an old window in our garage that was damaged in a storm a couple weeks ago. I am finally going to tackle the job this weekend. Any helpful tips before I get started? It seems pretty straight forward. Looks like the only trick I'll have is trying to do it with it still in place. The window has been painted shut at some point and the frame isn't in the greatest shape so I don't want to chance breaking it.

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,490

The steps involved as I remember them
1 remove old glass and putty
2 Cut glass to fit. Make it smaller then the large size of the rabbit in the wood so it lays loose in hole.
3 lay bead of putty in bottom of rabbit
4 set glass in bead and seat.
5 install glazing points to hold glass in
6 putty up outside of window.
7 leave for several days to let putty setup

I use glazing compound now instead of putty.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,020

Just a few additions/modifications...

Sometimes it helps to loosen the old putty a bit with a propane torch or heat gun, but you have to be very careful, as you could easily damage any vinyl or aluminum trim, and the window itself is quite likely old and dry.

Once you get the boken pane out, careully inspect the opening for the little triangular pieces of metal, or points, which Joe mentioned, and remove them, usually with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Remove all of the old glazing, being careful not to damage the wood.

If time permits for it to dry before proceeding, primer and paint the opening. If not, very lightly brush the opening with mineral spirtis immediately prior to reglazing it. This will dampen the wood and slightly soften the glazing, allowing it to conform better.

Lay a light bead in the opening, then install your glass and points.

Pull out a wad about the size of a chew,then roll it gently in your palms, into a string about 6" long, and press it into place. Rolling it around like this will soften it. Some guys like to just get some on a putty knife, and press it into place one dab at a time, but I believe that you this eliminates a lot of the cohesion within the glazing itself, and, as a result, perhaps leads to preamature cracking.

Wetting your putty knife with minieral spirits will help it slide along the glazing easier, making it more likely to push it into place, and less likely to fall to the ground.

And keep your favorite adult beverage handy; you'll need it!
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

While you're at the step of restoring the window/glazing, I would consider what I plan to do - supplement the glazing with another full pant that cover the whole sash. Rout out an appropriate depth, perhaps on the outside, to fit the (low-E) pane and secure with glazing pts or small molding that you glue permanently. This will add a few extra R values. It will make the window heavier so you will need to adjust the counter-weights accordingly. I ordered new replacement windows but don't like the fake muntins. Since there is little reason to spend hundreds more on a (custom) window, it is better to restore them with energy efficient measures. Afterwards, you can construct window quilts to really have a thermal closet.
KurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pp 173-176 if you’re a visual guy….. http://books.google.com/books?id=b93...stucco&f=false

Sometimes just search: http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks...9c50a61d5b9175

Gary
Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Substitute that first bead of putty for silicone, it is a better seal and common practice nowadays.
jegolopolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 154

All of the above plus one additional tip. When running the putty knife for the final smoothing, place the index finger of your opposite hand directly on the back of the blade right behind the leading edge. That way you can control the pressure applied to the putty and form a perfect triangle.

zircon is offline   Reply With Quote